Advice on Hair Loss at Almost 2 Years Out

NoMore B.
on 8/28/11 9:50 am
Ugh.  My  hair is starting to fall out again, but at a lesser rate than it did after my DS. 

I'm almost 2 years out, and I had plastics 4 months ago.  When I first noticed I was shedding hair, I started assuming it was from my plastics, which was a 6 hour surgery.  The timing sounds right.

But then I started wondering if my protein might be low, or if I should be concerned of some other deficiency?  My 18 month labs looked good but I'm starting to get concerned I should repeat them.  Does anyone know how quickly protein can tank?

I upped my one usual double scoop protein shake a day to two just in case.

Any ideas / advice?

Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 10:54 am
I have only lost hair (other than the normal) 2 times in my life. The first time was about 3 months after my first WLS and I was getting in almost no protein.  The second time was when my protein levels were low at 3 years out from my DS.  Both times I increased protein and the hair loss stopped and I had nice regrowth.

Having said all that I would have labs redone as other things can cause hair loss, such as low iron levels.

What ever the problem I think that increasing your protein won't hurt and may help.  The rest of your labs will tank if your protein is too low cuz it's all connected and protein seems to be a key factor, at least for me and from what I read anyway.

HTH,
Michele
k9ophile
on 8/28/11 10:56 am
Isn't it just because of another surgery?  I just had a total knee replacement on 8/1 and have yet to see any hair loss.  I am expecting it and figured I'd just have to deal with it.  Sorry I can't give you any other answer.  I've read that it happens after c-sections and other surgeries.  Just live with it?  I'm just hoping it won't be too bad when it happens after this latest surgery.  It wasn't too bad with my DS and it's been almost 3 years.  Guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed or the hats handy.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

* Gail R *
on 8/28/11 11:15 am - SF Bay Area, CA
The same thing is happening to me! I am due for my 2 year labs and hope to find and answer. My thyroid levels could be out of whack and causing the problem. I am hoping for a simple fix. I have always had good hair and now I am getting a receding hair line.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

newmerightnow
on 8/28/11 4:54 pm - AK
Years ago, I use to work in home health. The lady I took care of had cancer. She was in her sixties, so her hair was thinning, but with the chemo is really started falling out. At one of her appointments the doctor told her to start using a shampoo and within a couple of weeks her scalp stated getting little hairs that started sprouting. I don’t know if it was the shampoo, or the massage the scalp, but she did get most of hair back. I still use it today.  You can get it at Sally’s or through Amazon. It’s called Nutri- OX. I don’t know if it will help, but it’s worth a shot. Best of luck, Crissie
BTW, I also take 5000 MCG of Biotin at day.

mrsannie
on 8/28/11 10:38 pm
 About 3 months after my DS my hair fell out at an alarming rate!  I tried everything vitamins, more protein etc. and I asked everyone how to make it stop.  Finally here was the explanation I found and it made sense to me...

After a such a traumatic surgery (DS) your body responds by sending all the nutrients it has from the non essential areas (hair is one) to the traumatized one to help your body repair itself.  So at that time your hair will stop growing temporarily and will eventually fall out.  All that was effected at the time will fall out, although not at once -- it could take months, so you can't stop the fall out.  It will regrow as mine has.  Actually I have always had curly/wavy hair, now it has grown back so curly I am amazed!  It took a while but it looked pretty good.

At 1 1/2 years out I had a hernia repair and a TT.  I had a rough recovery, and now at 3 months out, yes I am losing my hair again!  Its not as bad as the first time, but it is happening.  I guess all we can do is wait it out, it does grow back!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"