One more time please......

stillhopefull
on 8/27/11 10:23 pm
 After 8 months of pure hell and two rounds of TPN, I hope I can finally start to get on with my DS.  My angel Kerry (which could not have been a better angel or friend) sent me a box full of protein samples to try.  So my question is, which is better....the Whey Isolate or the pure whey?  Does one get better absorbed than the other?  She also sent me some Nectar Naturals, IDS Multi Pro.  Is it better to mix with milk, water, or do I just have to experiment and see which I can tolerate?

Also while I am whining, my taste is so off.  I was hoping after not eating or drinking anything for 6 weeks (trying to heal two fistulas)  it would come back but it didn't.  Any suggestions there?  Nothing and I mean nothing taste like it should and it ALL tastes horrible. 

I could go on and on but have bored everyone enough.  Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Terry

for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
teachmid
on 8/27/11 11:17 pm - OKC, OK
So good to hear from you, Terry.

I make my shakes with heavy cream. I guess you just need to try and see what works for you. I do a protein coffee with 1/2 IDS cinnamon vanilla and 1/2 champion stack chocolate. I also drink about 2 of Lorie's shakes daily, again with heavy cream.

Have you tried a shake cake?

Are the fistula's healed finally?

Congratulations on your weight loss!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

stillhopefull
on 8/27/11 11:34 pm
 Thanks Gail.  The weight loss is purely from being sick for 8 months.  Not because I have been eating and achieved it. the correct way  You have done it the correct way and have done wonderful.  I forgot about the shake cake.  I got to start on clear liquids for 48 hours today and then advance my diet slowly.  Yes, the fistulas healed we hope.  That is why I have to start out slowly.  If I start leaking again it is back on TPN.  The doctor said it may take up to 6 months.  OMG!!  I will need Valium if that happens. Keep your fingers crossed it doesn't reopen.  I had some broth and only drank about 1/4 cup due to my taste buds being off.  I was praying after the TPN they would have come around but not yet.  Of course this is the first day so still hope full.

Take care and keep up the good weight loss my friend.  Oh yea, I am flying to Kansas for the weekend and will wave to you from the plane when we fly over OK.  
Terry

for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
J G.
on 8/28/11 3:22 pm
Hi Terry!  So glad to see you posting!  If you are just starting on liquids today expect to go slowly.  It will take little baby steps till your taste buds get back to normal.  Try to be patient, hon.  I am sooo praying for you that everything is healed.  Keep us updated often, okay?

Hugs, Jenny
stillhopefull
on 8/29/11 4:18 am

Jenny,
thanks for the well wishes.  I need them.  Had some soup today and doing OK with it.  Just like Elizabeth said, think of it as medicine.  Going to pinch my nose and down the protein drinks.
Terry

for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
wings
on 8/28/11 1:49 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
Bless your heart Terry

I hated it when my taste buds were way off.  You just have to try stuff.  The easiest way I found to try different proteins was to order sample from vitalady cause I could not afford to buy the whole container of a protien, not like it and be our all that money. 

You are continually in my prayers and I believe you will get better and will soon start to enjoy life again. 

((((Hugs))))
Carla
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6HR7lf/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6HR7lf/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
Elizabeth N.
on 8/28/11 5:15 am - Burlington County, NJ
Howdy you!! So glad that you're doing better. God knows you deserve some GOOD news for a change.

I would experiment, remembering that it'll change again after surgery. Lactose intolerance, at least for a while, is SUPER common, so beware of the milk. Try it, sip it and WAIT to see how it sits. And if it doesn't work at first, it still might work down the road, so don't give up hope.

I abhorred ALL protein beverages postop, even the ones that tasted good preop. I've only started finding them palatable again in the past few months, and not very many of them at that.

Whey isolate seems to give some people gas and other people (maybe more RNYs but I dunno about that) blood sugar spiking issues. Vitalady speculated in a conversation that MAYBE it might be something to do with the fast absorption of isolate. I've tried several isolates recently and most of them made me fart up a storm. I seem to do fine with GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme, which has a very mild flavor but a very proteiny smell.

The higher absorbability of isolate is a wonderful thing if you tolerate it well. If you don't, try something else. Maybe a combination of whey isolate and whey concentrate.

Next one down the list of the milk source ones is all whey concentrate. They get less absorbable from there. Egg white protein (such as Jay Robb) absorbs well.

If you get to the point that NOTHING else works, try the protein jellos and tubes. But do NOT rely on them heavily or long term, for they have a lot of collagen and that just doesn't do much of anything for us. Real food is far preferable to collagen protein supplements. Again, if you're totally at wits' end it's better than nothing, but not by much.

Your poor taste buds are traumatized I'm sure with all that misery :-(. Remember that a huge percentage of "taste" is actually smell. Use a closed container for supplements, with a straw if necessary. Clothespin your nose as needed. Make them as thin and low volume as possible so you get them down quicker.

Early out I tried using the syrups to flavor the stuff and that made it worse rather than better--more chemical taste/smell. ICK. Now I'm doing pretty well with those. I made myself a vanilla cream Diet Coke drink the other day that was almost, but not quite, tasty :-)....2 scoops of vanilla powder, vanilla extract, enough water to shake and dissolve, some heavy cream, more shaking, and then poured in a can of Diet Coke. Interesting for something resembling a cream soda or a float. Sort of. Dunno if I'd do it again though.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/28/11 5:43 am - Tuvalu

However, Jay Robb has sugar alcohols, which CAN cause lower GI distress.  I use a cheaper, Vitamin Shoppe version.
Elizabeth N.
on 8/28/11 5:47 am - Burlington County, NJ
EEP it does? Remind me not to use that one!

stillhopefull
on 8/28/11 8:22 am
 Thank you everyone.  I will try all the suggestions.  My sense of smell is good.  Everything smells so good but the taste buds....YUCK!!  I did get some egg drop soup down tonight.  My albumin was 2.6 when I started TPN and worry it will fall again.  Kerry gave me A LOT of samples from Vitalady so I will try them all.  I bought some Heavy Cream, Half N Half, and we drink 2% milk.  And will try water if I have too.  I was drinking milk before second round of TPN without any ill effects so hopefully I am still good.

Again, many many thanks for the suggestions.  
Terry  

for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry