Thanksgiving??

jenflock
on 8/28/11 6:47 am - TN
Soo, been feeling down in the dumps and whining my tushie off.  Decided to take control and force my bad moods into submission!! I decided that I'm happiest when it's the holidays and soooo...I cooked not 1 but TWO big fat turkey breasts with all the trimmings!! of course all I ate was gobs of turkey and a bit of gravy but eureka!! I do in fact feel better. It was so nice to cook it all up at mom and dad's house and have them and my kids all together at the table for such a spread. and of course everyone raving about my cooking was the cherry on top .  I am curious however if any of you have good gravy recipes that are super low carb?? or other type "side" dishes that win you accolades and adoration but are also not carb laden.  B****hat was the moistest most tender, BUTTERY turkey EVER!! I've already been grazing the leftover bag..lol, which is why I made two. Oh yeah, am also using breast carcasses to make a lovely stock that I plan to use for all sorts of yummies..you know turkey egg drop soup..I don't know if it will turn out but am so gonna try it.

Julie R.
on 8/28/11 7:55 am - Ludington, MI
 Really, gravy isn't THAT high carb.    I never worry about it.   But then again, you're talking to a gal who eats her weight in potato chips every week and doesn't worry about them either.   Yet.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

jenflock
on 8/28/11 8:05 am - TN
True true...but because I still have so much to lose I want to keep my carbs as low as possible...don't want to waste my carbs on gravy!! I want to waste it on something good..Like wheat bread or low carb cheesecake..or maybe your weight in potato chips!! LOL I wonder if I spread some REAL cheesecake all over some sexy hot fella if the carbs count??

Julie R.
on 8/28/11 8:35 am - Ludington, MI
 Ahhh - gotcha.     I know there is a low carb thickener around somewhere.  Let me poke around.

Here ya go.   I've used a few Dixie Diner products and I've liked them.

http://www.amazon.com/Dixie-Carb-Counters-Thick-Thickener/dp /B000Y0M2NO
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Elizabeth N.
on 8/30/11 11:23 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Geeze, how much thickener do you USE in your gravy? When I make gravy for a whole turkey, I use under half a cup of cornstarch. Most people don't cook their gravy long enough to thicken it properly. Try longer cooking and see how that works.

Or thicken it with an egg or two.

DianaRR
on 8/30/11 12:13 pm - CA
You could also thicken it with butter--whisking in about a tablespoon at a time after you take it off the heat.
Very rich.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/30/11 2:54 pm, edited 8/30/11 3:30 pm
Ukie Shroom Sauce
(warning: amounts are estimated, I usually throw things together and don't measure so I am taking a guess with the amounts)

ingredients
-3 small shallots (preferred) or small onion finely diced
-3 tbs of butter or drippings (can be bacon or schmaltz, although duck fat is preffered if you can find it)
-6-8 oz fresh mushrooms sliced thin (use your favorite kind, I use criminis or a mix of crimini/****ake/oyster). IF you want finer pieces of mushrooms feel free to dice them instead.
-1 cup of cream
- 1 tsp soy sauce (you can substitute salt instead, but I found soy gives this a nice rich flavor along with the saltiness)
-salt & pepper
-optional: 1/2 tsp of fresh thyme, or sage.

Sautee shallots and butter on low, sprinkle with salt, sautee until translucent and beginning to carmelize- around 6-10 minutes

Increase heat to medium. Throw in sliced shroomies, add soy sauce, sautee until shrooms have released their liquid and this liquid has boiled away, let them brown just a teeny bit

Throw in the optional herbs, mix em with the shrooms and sautee for a few minutes, add a little water to the pan if the shrooms are getting too dry.

Add the cream, when simmering reduce heat to low and reduce to desired thickness. Keep an eye on it and stir often, add salt and pepper at the end if it needs it.

This is really easy, and the amounts don't have to be exact. Just taste as you go and use your judgement if you think something needs more or less of a particular ingredient. It's really just mushrooms and onions reduced in cream after they've been sauteed. No need for thickeners or starches- just a little patience.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

geekgirl127
on 9/1/11 1:50 am - Indianapolis, IN
That sounds awesome... I can't wait til Thanksgiving.
HW/SW/CW/GW = 371/352/168/130  - I love my DS!!