How long was your recovery?

D. Scott
on 8/28/11 4:26 am
RNY with
I am interested in knowing the average hospital stay and various periods of recovery to get an idea of how long I may be looking at to recover from the surgery. I realize everyone heals at different rates but I am interested in getting a general idea. Thanks!!
Elizabeth N.
on 8/28/11 5:02 am - Burlington County, NJ
Mine was open. I was in the hospital three nights. I was much sicker than the average preop going in, so while my recovery was picture perfect, you have to take into account that I was very unwell to start with.

If you'd like to read details, look on my profile in December 2006/January 2007.

My TT recovery, which was in 2008 (look at September-December 2008), was a lot more like a normal healthy person recovery, although I had complications that mandated a revision a month out.

MomToTeens
on 8/28/11 5:44 am - OH
I had my revision from RNY to DS open, and I was in the hospital 3 days.  The first couple of weeks out were up and down for me.  I took the narcotic pain killers for about a week, and then I had more soreness than actual pain. 

I went back to work part-time at 4 weeks, and am planning to go full time at 7.  I have had two other open abdominal surgeries and the healing was similar.

Hope this helps,

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/28/11 5:44 am
I'm preop but I've asked around this very question.  What I get from a lot of people is that the hospital stay can be anywhere from 2 or 3 days to 8 days--even without serious comlications.  Bookfaerie had her surgery in December and was there 8 days. They had to go back in to see if she had any serious scar tissue from a previous surgery.  But she wasn't terribly sick.  Most of the people I talk to say that the first 3 weeks are HELL--expect to not be able to do much.  I hear that after 3 weeks you can get stuff done but feel pretty bad and lack of energy.  I heard it took a good 6-8 weeks before feeling "normal".  I hope this helps.

(Oh and I think the first 3 weeks is a reflection of recovering from anesthesia and all of the bloating, swelling, etc.)

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

teachmid
on 8/28/11 5:53 am - OKC, OK
I had an open revision from a RNY to a DS without complications. I was in the hospital 4 nights and on narcotic pain meds for about 2+ weeks. I went back to work at 5 weeks and thought I would die....but didn't. Could have used another week or two. I started feeling pretty "normal" about 7 weeks. I am a older, so I think that played a part in my recovery. I honestly thought, for me, the first 3 weeks were really tough.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Mdae
on 8/28/11 6:43 am
my sister and i both had a lap DS, and we were both released the next day, with zero complications.

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 7:51 am
Hi Sarah, I sent you a PM :)
KarenFlorida
on 8/28/11 8:40 am - Orlando, FL
I had laparoscopic DS. I was in the hospital 2 nights. I only needed continous pain meds for the first day, but I did take a pain pill at bedtime for several nights (less than a week). I had trouble getting comfortable for sleeping, because my preferred sleeping position is on my stomach. During the day I had mild soreness.

I went back to work at 2 1/2 weeks postop, to a job where I stand all day and move around a lot. I felt I could have gone back after one week, but that would have been a bit ridiculous, I guess! I had a 10 pound lifting limit for a month, but pain-wise I could have lifted sooner. That was the hardest part, because I have a 1 year old. Thankfully I had help at home during that time!

I had some intolerances to foods and non-water beverages as far as getting gas and diarrhea, but my surgeon allowed me to advance my diet as quickly as I could tolerate, after the first few days. I had no problem staying hydrated or swallowing small amounts of food. I can eat any small meal at this point, and can drink coffee, milk, or diet soda without problems, in addition to the water. I eat mainly protein but have tolerated bits of other foods that have found their way in, here and there.

From what I have heard on this forum, I believe my postop recovery was easier than normal. I am very thankful for that. My surgeon did a great job.

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

Emily F.
on 8/28/11 9:28 am
I was a young healthy 29 year old. I self paid for 4 nights in hospital, doc said I was good to leave after 3 but I paid for it and I wanted the IV. I only took 9 days off work and that included flying across the country to Mexico from Fl and back. lol. I went back to a desk job half days. I can't even believe it now looking back but that would be best case scernario.
kathie09
on 8/28/11 5:19 pm - not available
Hey Sarah!

I just had surgery on the 5th of August, and I was in the hospital Friday through Tuesday - so four nights, almost five days. I am now a little over three weeks out, and am starting to feel a bit better. I developed a staph infection in my incision last week, and that really took me down.

I noticed that you are a revision. I am not familiar with your surgeon, but unless he is very very skilled at revisios, I would reconsider. I had my surgery done by Dr Keshishian in Glendale California. He is incredible, and one of the best revision surgeons out there. On my last visit post op to see him, and young lady (about 25 years old) and I were in the waiting room together. She had a revision done in Arizona by an unskilled surgeon. She nearly died - mostly because of his lack of skill. When she made it to Dr K's office, she told me that she had a 30% chance of surviving the surgery he did -- but Dr K. pulled her through. I cried as she told me. It just seemed so surreal. I've heard about this for so long on the boards, but now I will chime in anytime I can. Okay, that is my two cents. HOpe you have an easy surgery and a great recovery!
kathie09