1 year and a day! Rocked it like a hurricane!

mbumblebee
on 8/27/11 1:38 pm
Yesterday was my 1 year surgiversary!

Thanks to Dr. Rabkin and the DS, I have lost 115 lbs!  I feel just AMAZING!! 

My story (condensed version):

I have been overweight my entire life.  As I got older I became tired of carrying around the excess weight, but never had long-term success with the multitude of diets and weight-loss programs I tried.  Researched WLS, eventually found out about the DS...and thanks to Nicolle on the board...Dr. Rabkin. 

Last August I travelled to San Francisco to have my DS.  It was SO WORTH IT!! 

OKAY right to my stats:
Pre-op weight: 254 lbs, height 5'5"
Common channel is 125 cm, gastric volume is 115 ml at time of surgery

Current weight is... 138-140 lbs!!!!  FABULOUS!!

My original goal weight was 150 lbs, but really I've been overweight for so long I had no idea what weight I should be...so my current weight is fine w/me and is in the normal BMI range.

Eating:
I still LOVE to eat!  I still love food!  I make sure to get plenty of protein and even still use protein shakes to supplement (Premier Protein @ Costco). 

What am I eating?...ok there are too many things to list but here are some of the usual suspects...

frozen cheese omelets (so convenient for breakfast)
string cheese
nuts of all kinds
greek yogurt
grilled chicken (esp on salads)
steak & chops
baked custard
chocolate covered nuts 
fruit
veggies & dips
shrimp (Ragamuffin's shrimp carbonara...love it!)

AND STARBUCKS!  For a while I was having breve lattes, then I switched to iced coffee w/half and half, and currently I am loving a SF Cinnamon Dolce soy latte w/whip. 

People who know I have had surgery (this means anyone who talks to me for more than 2 minutes) are always amazed at how much I can eat.  I can eat a double cheeseburger in one sitting no problem.

What am I NOT eating...
Flour/gluten.
Anything with flour in it blows me up like a parade float!  Sure, I still indulge when I am willing to pay the price - but it kinda takes the fun out of it.  I have tried using sprouted wheat bread etc, but it doesn't really make a difference, so I just avoid eating bread when at work etc. 

Vitamins:
I take the full vitalady schedule.  I have switched to Proferrin since the carbonyl iron didn't agree w/my stomach and also now I use Biozinc capsules for my zinc.  All labs are looking good so far, but have to watch my magnesium...when I slack off I will get foot cramps.  This doesn't really show up in lab results (magnesium will look fine when it's really getting low etc).

Potty Talk: 
This is my favorite DS subject!  This is where the magic happens people!!  Bathroom time will make or break my day.  I tend to only go once a day (not nec morning).  If I do happen to have a 2nd round...it's a BONUS!!  There are some days I don't go at all...which upsets me.  It doesn't last but I get nervous that I will become constipated etc.  Yes, I even go at work when necessary!  I have a small pocket-sized Ozium spray which is very effective.  

WOWs: 
I haven't been good about keeping track of the "wows".  I think one of the biggest wows for me is finally NOT have to be either on a diet or trying to find the next diet etc.  I finally stepped off the hamster wheel.  

I feel so LUCKY to have had the chance to have the DS!  I am thankful every day.  If it wasn't for this board - it wouldn't have happened.  

Special thank you for NICOLLE, ANNA and MICHELLE -- I LOVE YOU GUYS!   

OK, the mandatory before and after...this is me leaving to SF for surgery, then me two weeks ago (with my wonderful friend Michelle)...

*******************************************************************************************
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way that a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway. Because bees don’t care what humans think is impossible. (Bee Movie)

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/11 2:01 pm - TX
Thanks for paying it forward!!!
mbumblebee
on 8/28/11 12:14 am
The year went by so quickly!  I remember being pre-op and reading everyone's updates...I can't believe it's my turn!

It looks like your date is right around the corner!!

Best wishes,
Melissa

p.s. the eyes of texas are upon you...HOOK EM HORNS!!

*******************************************************************************************
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way that a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway. Because bees don’t care what humans think is impossible. (Bee Movie)

gak
on 8/27/11 2:21 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Congrats ! You have done great ! Worth celebrating for sure ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

mbumblebee
on 8/28/11 12:16 am
Thanks Ginger!  I still can't believe it! 

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/27/11 4:55 pm
You are AMAZING!  Congrautlations!

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

mbumblebee
on 8/28/11 12:19 am
Thanks Sher - the DS is so amazing...which is why I can't stop telling people about it...I wonder if this feeling ever wears off?  I hope not!!!

teachmid
on 8/27/11 9:36 pm - OKC, OK
What a wonderful transformation! Congratulations!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

mbumblebee
on 8/28/11 12:24 am
Thanks Gail - when I posted this last nite my husband saw the before pic & said "I don't think you looked like that...did you stretch the pic when you posted it?" LOL....funny I used to think that about ALL pictures I saw of myself...OH WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR & A DS MAKES!!!

Hugs,
Melissa

scoob
on 8/27/11 9:53 pm - Somerset, KY
WOW, you have done awesome! You're really rockin it girl! So happy for you!!!!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"