Exercise Slowing Down Weight Loss? What am I Doing Wrong?

blondegal
on 8/28/11 7:57 am - CT
Hello All,

I'm hoping some of you have some guidance out there re: exercise. Here's the particulars:

March 2011 - DS
Lost well enough with no exercise.
July 2011 - weight didn't seem to keep coming off at the same rate; increased protein a bit, that seemed to help.  However, since July 1 I have only lost 8.4 lbs.

August 2011 -- started exercising (treadmill/elliptical; mid-month incorporated weights)

While I was told to start the exercising, and everyone seems to be on board that the weights are exactly what a post-DS body needs to retain muscle mass and keep bones strong, I'm loosing enthusiasm for it as the scale is not moving.  In fact, over the course of 3 weeks I've GAINED weight. Week 1 of exercising had me at a 7 lb loss. Week 2 had me at a 4.5 GAIN.  I racked this up to TOM and maybe my body just getting used to exercising.  Week 3 now has me at loss of only a half of pound from Week 2.  I'm starting to get frustrated -- and asking myself why I'm exercising if it's appearing to slow things down?

Now, I know the scale fluctuates -- and I'm okay with that.  I'm more concerned about the following:

(1) Do I need to increase protein (or anything else, even water?) if I'm now exercising.  I'm (at best) getting in 68 oz of water a day, and 100 g of protein. 

(2) Will exercising (which I'm actually enjoying doing) change my metabolism somehow?  Should I not be pushing myself on the treadmill/elliptical?

The strangest part of all this is the comments I'm getting from so many people these past 2 weeks telling me that they can notice a difference.  My measurements don't show much of a change, but I'm definitely more muscle and jiggle (than just jiggle). 

Overall, I really just don't want to screw this up.  I can be OK being a slow looser, but I want to be sure that I'm doing the right things after incorporating the exercise. I still think exercise is the right way to go, but I'm not sure I'm doing what I have to do now (increase to even more protein??) to make sure I continue to loose appropriately.

If anyone has any advice or experience on this topic, I'd love to hear it! 

Thanks,
Dawn

Kayla B.
on 8/28/11 8:17 am - Austin, TX
What kind of things are you doing for exercise?

You probably should increase both water and protein.  It will also be best to eat a little something every 2-3 hours or so.

Yes, exercise changes metabolism, but generally in the positive direction.  It really depends what you mean by pushing yourself though.  The target fat burn area really shouldn't kill you.  Shoot for a heart rate in the range of 130-140 beats per minute, which should be enough to make you sweat, but not feel like you're going to die.  You should still be able to talk.  Heart rate too fast can mean muscle loss and that's definitely no good.

I would not do just cardio.  I know the weight lifting area is intimidating, but that's where results are made.  Increase muscle mass, increase metabolism.

And when you first start an exercise routine, the body can kinda swell a bit and retain water until you get used to it.  Keep at it.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
newyorkbitch
on 8/28/11 8:18 am
Exercise is always a good idea.  It will increase your metabolism,  among many other benefits.  You should be doing aerobic and anaerobic activities - sounds like you are.

What is your food intake other than protein?

You must get in plenty of protein and fluids - sounds like you are.

As long as you are not overdoing it on the carbs....then just keep doing what you're doing and stop worrying about the scale.  Muscle weighs more than fat and building muscle is a good thing.  Increases your resting metabolic rate.

KEEP IT UP.

JoAnn S.
on 8/28/11 8:21 am - Melbourne, FL
Hi Dawn,

Don't worry about the weight gain when you are excercising. Its normal. (Smiling) Muscle weighs more so you will see an increase in weight. But its not really there.

I had the gastric Bypass in 2003 and did great with weight loss. You will have a 3 lb. swing. but if you go over 3 lbs, its fat. But the excercising is normal weight gain. So don't stop, you will be fine.

I read your post and it seems you are doing everything you should be. You will be fine, don't get frustrated, just know what the weight gain is caused from. Plus muscle burns fat. Your body is going through all kinds of adjustments.

Hope this helped.
Regards,
JoAnn
Emily F.
on 8/28/11 9:19 am
A, you gotta get off that scale and not take it so seriously. A few lbs can be water, tom, etc. It just fluid, its not fat.

Keep up the cardio, do the weight training if it makes you feel better, personally I never found weight training, made the fat fly off faster but I did do cardio hard core while I lost. NOw I do it to maintain.
beemerbeeper
on 8/28/11 12:33 pm - AL
More water and more protein.  For sure.  Add or increase shakes for that extra protien.

~Becky

beth-28
on 8/28/11 3:29 pm
I'm sorry...I have to say it... "muscle does not weigh more than fat!"  A pound of anything is still a pound. Fat is more bulky than muscle, but a pound of fat is the same weight as a pound of muscle.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled post....thank you.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/11 1:03 am
Actually, not to be prissy, but muscle does weigh more than fat.  An inch of muscle weighs more than an inch of fat.  Just like a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead, but you need a lot more feathers than lead to reach that pound.  Same thing here. 

Just sayin'......    ;)
beth-28
on 8/29/11 2:01 am
Lynmarie,

Not to be prissy here, but inches are NOT a measurement of WEIGHT. Measurements of weight are pounds, ounces, etc.

Inches are measurements of length or width or height.. However, if you are using volume (measured by inches..) then the same volume of muscle weighs more than the SAME VOLUME of fat.

But a pound is a pound is a pound.

Let's not perpetuate that old myth here.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

blondegal
on 8/29/11 12:17 am - CT
Hi All,

Thanks for all the sage advice.  I'm going to up both the protein and the water (can't hurt, might help).  I'm going to shoot for 130 g of Protein and 100 oz of water.  And I REALLY needed the encouragement to keep going with the exercise -- so thanks to all of you for saying -- KEEP GOING!!!  I'll do just that.  I'm on the scale 1x/week to monitor my loss and ensure that if things are going south, I catch it and modify my behavior so that I'm making the most of this tool.  So I will plug along...

Thanks again everyone!