Fasting labs?.....what else don't I know?

healthierme
on 8/27/11 3:32 am - Triangle, NC
Somehow I've completely missed the fact that my labs are supposed to be done fasting, but I just recently read this on OH. Can anyone tell me which labs values would be most effected by not being done fasting?
Am I also supposed to stop by supplements before my labs? If so, how far in advance?
I hate to post such simple questions, but I want to make sure I do it right from here on out!
I have my 9 month labs next week!

HW 300ish / SW 280 / CW 162.8/ GW 140?

elixir
on 8/27/11 3:58 am, edited 8/27/11 3:58 am - MI
My surgeon told me I didn't need to fast, but to avoid taking vitamins at least 12 hours before testing. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

healthierme
on 8/27/11 7:28 am - Triangle, NC
I've wondered if recently taken vitamins would affect the results.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/27/11 4:30 am - Tuvalu
healthierme
on 8/27/11 7:27 am - Triangle, NC
Thanks for the link. My non-fasting glucose levels were 60 & 68, and my non-fasting total cholesterol levels were 95. If non-fasting tends to make them elevated, it would be interesting to see what they were fasting!

gak
on 8/27/11 5:42 am
Revision on 06/21/13
I was told I need to fast when the lipid profile is done. On the other hand I had a doc tell me no need to fast, just always do the same thing so results are based on the same situation.  What does your doc prefer ? I also do not stop my vits like some people. I was never told to by a doc and it does not make sense to me to stop them as we want to know our results based on what we are taking.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

healthierme
on 8/27/11 7:31 am - Triangle, NC
I have my PCP run vita-lady's list, and she's never told me that they needed to be fasting.

RhondaDenise
on 8/27/11 6:37 am - Crossville, TN
I was also told no need to fast or stop taking vites prior to labs.

Year and  7 months out and so far so good on my labs.

Rhonda

healthierme
on 8/27/11 7:34 am - Triangle, NC
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't doing them fasting! I'm wondering if I should just continue doing them non-fasting since that's what I have to compare to so far. I'm not too concerned about my lipid profile or blood sugar levels being high. I'd be curious to know if it significantly affects anything besides those two.

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/11 10:53 am - Woodbridge, VA
I always do mine fasting, but that's because I've been a type 2 diabetic, so my fasting blood glucose level is important to me. The only vites I don't take is the morning I have my labs drawn because then I wouldn't be fasting.

Some folks will say you should stop certain vitamins beforehand for however long, but that makes no  sense to me unless you're planning to try to quit those supplements. After all, we want to know if what we're taking is the right amount of everything, right? So why do I care what my labs look like WITHOUT my supplements?