Questions about DS

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/11 6:13 am - MN
DS on 03/13/12
Hi all I am new here and I posted a bit about me on the main board and alot of people were saying to come over here and check out the ds board, so here I am.  I was hoping that you guys could tell me more about what you know on the ds and from the bit I have looked up compared to the rny its really something I would consider.  I know from one of 2 people who posted to my main board posting that they saw something about the surgeon that I am going with only having 10 ds under his belt.  I just wonder how accurate his listing on the board is or how often they up date it.  I know for sure I will ask him about it.  I tried looking up a doc at the u of m who one site said does the ds here in minnesota and I dont think he is there anymore since I got a 404 on the page.  But like I was saying anything you can tell me that I can use to bring to dr. rupp's attention and maybe studies if you have links to them, so I can compared more info as well.
pktwatch
on 8/27/11 6:44 am
Welcome! I have not had my DS yet so I will let the vets speak of the advantages. I know that I spend several months reading and trying to decide what was best for me and by far the DS won!

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

butercup
on 8/27/11 6:49 am - Kennewick, WA
Hello and welcome!  I would first start with the website dsfacts.com  It has a lot of the basic info that you're looking for.  Also when you have other questions you can search the OH site.  If you can't find a good enough answer there, post it here.

Good luck to you.  Oh the MOST important thing to know is to chose a vetted surgeon to do your surgery.  It is of the utmost importance.  I and everyone else will tell you this.  Choose someone with experience even if you have to travel.  Your life is definitely worth it.
orangecrushed
on 8/27/11 6:50 am - Triad, NC
Hello!  Welcome to the DS board.  The first place you'll want to go to learn more about the DS is dsfacts.com.  It's a lot of reading, but VERY worth it.  In regards to your surgeon, there is a list of vetted and trusted surgeons on the DS site.  These are the ones in MN:

Henry Buchwald, MD, PhD
Email: [email protected]
Sayeed Ikramuddin, MD *
University of Minnesota Medical Center
Weight Management Center
Phillips-Wangensteen Building
First Floor, Clinic 1E
516 Delaware Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Phone: 612-626-6666

You should also check out this thread: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4280788/Repost-Request-Advice-for-Pre-Ops-with-Links/

Best of luck with your research!!

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/27/11 7:16 am, edited 8/26/11 7:17 pm
Welcome to the board! I'm preop as well. We have several members here who post weekly information for those who are thinking about or getting the DS. Here is one of the links you'll find if you do a search. This link also provides other "links of interest". Check it out. I think you'll find it helpful!

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4280788/Repost-Request-Advice- for-Pre-Ops-with-Links/

A couple of things to remember here on the DS board: The veterans are very knowledgeable and want to help you. They are straight shooters and don't bs with kind nice words to make you FEEL comfortable. Just take their advice, do your research, and don't take ANYTHING personal. Some people think that the vets are "mean". But their goal is to help. So do yourself a favor and just listen and move on. I've learned so much from these people and I'll always be grateful.

And once again, welcome!

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

Victorious_one
on 8/27/11 7:17 am - South Central, PA

In addition to the awesome links that Orangecrushed provided, I would highly recommend reading the posts and threads here on the DS board for the last 6-12 months.  YES, that's a lot of reading, but you learn a lot that way, more than a doctor or a presenter at an orientation can tell you.  You'll see the challenges people are living with and what's recommended to fix them.  You'll learn about people's perceptions about certain surgeons.  Vitamins, exercise, nutritional needs, comparisons to other surgeries--it's all there.

This a huge decision, so I recommend taking all the time you need to do your research.  I researched for 3 years before having my surgery, and I still feel like a newbie many days!

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
beemerbeeper
on 8/27/11 7:24 am - AL
I agree.  Just read read read this forum. 

And this is a good start:  www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4280788/Repost-Request-Advice- for-Pre-Ops-with-Links/

You must not even consider going with any surgeon who has not done at least 100 DS surgeries.  Your BMI puts you at a higher surgical risk.  My surgeon wouldn't even do a DS on you as he does not do any high risk patients.

You want a surgeon who is very comfortable with your BMI, VERY experienced with the DS and who is CONFIDENT that he can give you the FULL DS in ONE surgery.  You do not want a two part surgery.

~Becky

clpeltz
on 8/27/11 8:42 am
Yeap, Dr. Buchwald and Dr. I are the ones to go to here in MN for the DS.  Dr. Buchwald is one of the founding fathers :-)

Like everyone else has said, read dsfacts.com and the threads here.  There is a lot to learn and consider.  If you have any questions regarding Dr. B or Dr. I, let me know.  I am a RNY to DS revision patient of Dr. B's.  He is awesome. 

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

teachmid
on 8/27/11 8:57 am - OKC, OK
I have nothing else to add, but wanted to say welcome. You've gotten great reading assignments.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/11 9:16 am - MN
DS on 03/13/12
Thanks all for the info I will be spending most of next week reading up on what the ds has to offer me and prolly put a call in to the u of m next week as well to see how their program works.