Need any helpful info you may have please

lookthrshegos
on 8/26/11 9:22 am, edited 8/26/11 9:23 am - Huntland, TN
I am searching for info for my sil.

About  3 yrs ago she had massive ulcers in her stomach.  She almost bled to death.  When they got her stable they removed all but 1/4 of her stomach.  She has had multiple issues with strictures since but had been doing pretty well since Jan 2010. 
She had an episode of severe pain and vomiting yesterday and they scoped her today.  She has three ulcers at the base of her esophogus.  They said normally they would do surgery on these types of ulcers but she doesn't have enough stomach left for that.
They have put her on carafate and not giving her much hope. 
She is very thin from the initial surgery and complications she has had since.  She weighs about 135 and is over 5' 6".  She has gained about 20lbs since Jan 2010.  If this isn't resolved she will starve to death.

I love her dearly and my heart is broken. 

Kathy

larra
on 8/26/11 9:43 am - bay area, CA
I'm sorry your SIL is having such terrible problems.
     Not sure why you're looking for info here, as her problem is unrelated to the DS or to any form of wls, but I suppose they could remove what little is left of her stomach if nonsurgical treatment fails...but I can certainly understand why they are trying nonsurgical approaches first.
    Have they checked her gastrin level? There is  a rare tumor called a gastrinoma that occurs in the pancreas, or even more rarely in the small intestine, that produces gastrin, which in turn causes production of excessive amounts of acid in the stomach. For someone who has had multiple ulcers it's worth thinking about, and hopefully she's already been tested for it. You can Google Zollinger-Ellison syndrome for more info.
     And in addition to the carafate, I hope she's also on other meds, such as a PPI, to help with ulcer healing.

Larra
lookthrshegos
on 8/26/11 9:49 am - Huntland, TN
Thanks so much for your info. 
The reason I posted here is there seems to be alot of knowledge about issues with the stomach that has been turned into a pouch.  That is what she has.  No pyloric valve.  No duodenum. 
Can a person survive if their entire stomach is removed?  How is that possible? 
The original ulcers were from use of "Goody" brand powder.  One of the worst things you can do to your stomach.  She hasn't taken them since the original ulcers were removed. 
kathy

larra
on 8/26/11 10:09 am - bay area, CA
I have never heard of Goody powder, but looked it up. It contains aspirin, caffeine and acetominophen, so it includes an NSAID (the aspirin). That could certainly have contributed to the original problem, but I hope she hasn't taken any of this stuff since her original surgery.
     It is possible to survive with no stomach. People with stomach cancer sometimes need to have the entire stomach removed. Obviously it isn't ideal to not have a stomach at all, and I suspect her surgery would be very challenging because of both the ulcers and all her previous stomach surgery, but there are people out there with no stomach.

And given that she now has more ulcers, and multiple ulcers at that, and I assume with no more NSAIDs, I would again suggest that her doctors look further for a more rare cause if they haven't already done so.

Larra
Band to DS
on 8/26/11 10:59 am, edited 2/3/12 10:59 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 11:01 am
I'm so sorry for your SIL. Yes, although not ideal, people do survive just fine after stomach removal. I hope that her ulcers heal and she feels better.

Goody powders are evil. It makes your heart race and your stomach sore. But a lot of us in the South use them because they work better than anything. Just can't believe they are still on the market.

So sorry for her issues. She's in my prayers...