Diagnosed with BeriBeri/Wernicke's Encephalopathy... Help!

Band to DS
on 8/27/11 12:52 am, edited 2/3/12 10:59 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

P. Poster
on 8/27/11 1:21 am
Hi Shelli- I am feeling OK, no monumental improvements, but slight ones.  My thought process is a bit more clear today, and I don't feel as "fuzzy", if that makes sense.  I still have some significant neuropathy and am shakey.  No, they are not treating me, they outright refuse to do so until they have lab results to indicate treatment is necessary...  I am trying to coordinate a move to INOVA, however, with Hurricane Irene bearing down on our area, it is proving to be VERY difficult.  I can't just walk out of here, and have my husband take me, as that would be against medical advice and therefore, my insurance would sock us with the entire bill for my current stay (which we just plain can't afford, no way, no how).  So, I need to get preadmission orders at INOVA, and set up ambulance transport to get there.  With the hospital here being unreasonable, and the hurricane, this is quite a feat.  I am working with a patient advocate though.  MD/DC/VA are under a State of Emergency, and nothing is moving.  I'm currently working on pulling some strings with my volunteer fire company where I am a member.  IF we have an extra unit and 2 staff members available (which is a long shot since they have called everyone in for full staffing ahead of the storm) they have agreed to take me.  That's also assuming I can get all the necessary things in motion here and at INOVA to facilitate a move.  It's just plain bad timing, unfortunately.
Band to DS
on 8/27/11 1:38 am, edited 2/3/12 11:00 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

AllieInOntario
on 8/27/11 1:34 am
No knowledge to offer,... just been thinking about you and hope this gets resolved very, very soon.
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/11 10:37 am
Been thinking of you non-stop.  Still in my prayers.  I have nothing to offer other than for you to continue to demand a transfer, but as you know, with the state of emergency called they don't have to do it. 

I'm so sorry you are going through this.  Praying for a super-naturally fast and full  recovery for you.
Katie K.
on 8/27/11 11:43 am - Grand Haven, MI
Such a bummer that this is happening... good luck getting your transfer taken care of.. sounds like you are on the right path to make that happen considering the cir****tances with the Hurricane. 

What a total pain in the ass this all must be for you and scary as hell... I agree with everyone else.. keep being squeaky about it!!
"Nobody will fault you for trying" - My mother
Seminar: 1/8/2011. Initial Appt: 1/27/2011. Behaviorist: 1/31.2011. Surgeon 1/31/2011
Sleep Study: 2/7/2011.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Jennifer D.
on 8/27/11 12:45 pm
Hi Bean, just saw this post. I hope you continue to do well. It looks as though Scuba has some friends who can help you out which will be great if the hospital will follow their advice. Hopefully this is just a learning curve and everything returns to what it should be! Swinging schnauzers for you.