Diagnosed with BeriBeri/Wernicke's Encephalopathy... Help!

P. Poster
on 8/25/11 11:13 pm
 I know this is from a Thiamine (B1) deficiency, but I'm NOT sure how I became deficient SO fast...  My last lab check was May 26, 2011.  My B1 was 141, well in normal range.  Now, less than 3 months later, after NO adjustment to the amount of B1 I take, my B1 is apparently in the toilet.  I am still waiting on the offical labs to come back (they take 3-5 days...), but was admitted to the hospital last night with suspected deficiency.  They ruled out infection, cardiac (other than my bottomed out BP), dehydration, blood sugar issues (Im not diabetic, but they thought maybe hypoglycemic), did an MRI that came back normal, a chest xray that was normal, an EKG that was normal, and whatever labs they drew in the ER were essentially normal as well...  It's only when the ER Dr consulted with a neurologist that he mentioned B1 deficiency and to admit me pending lab results.

I woke up yesterday and couldn't see, my vision was all blurry, my eyelids are drooping, my muscles are all poorly responsive and uncoordinated, severe weakness, abnormal gait, foot drop, tremors, slurred speech, severe hypotension (my BP dropped to 64/48 after getting 2 liters of IV fluids), mental confusion and "fuzziness".  Prior to this, I had been fine, save for having some issues with muscle spasms (like Charlie Horse) for the past few weeks.  I thought they were due to magnesium or potassium issues (so increased both of those), or just because I started running and have been wearing heels pretty much all the time.  I've had no other symptoms, prior to yesterday...

I guess what I'm asking is for some input from people as to what can cause B1 to bottom out so quickly.  I just can't think clearly enough to rationalize this myself well right now.  Are there condtions out there that can cause absorbtion or uptake issues with B1 (besides our obvious malabsorption)?  I know alcohol burns up B1 stores, but I certainly only imbibe occasionally, so don't feel that is the issue.  I also know B1 needs B9 for proper uptake, but my folate levels are fine...  I'm out of ideas.
Jessie T
on 8/26/11 12:04 am - Boonies, MN
I don't have any advice but hoping you figure it out quickly! Hugs!
P. Poster
on 8/26/11 1:54 am
 Thanks Jessie, me too!
Kayla B.
on 8/26/11 12:57 am - Austin, TX
So did you get the lab results back to confirm or not?

Any vomiting?
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
P. Poster
on 8/26/11 1:52 am
 No, B1 result is 3-5 day wait.  There were other tests that came back stat that point to B1 deficiency as well, but the B1 test cant be run stat.  

No vomitting but had some strange rogue abd pain last week, and have been battling some constipation issues (partial emptying).
Renee2007
on 8/26/11 1:36 am - Central, FL
 In my quick search it stated that it can be from kidney problems. Have they done any tests on your kidney function?

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

P. Poster
on 8/26/11 1:53 am
 Just labs, apparently they were fine.  Thanks Renee :)
Renee2007
on 8/26/11 1:57 am - Central, FL
 Well I hope they can get you sorted out quickly. That had to be so very scary with such a sudden onset. Feel better soon!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

MajorMom
on 8/26/11 2:03 am - VA
I'm sorry you're going through this, Bean. Please keep us posted about how you're doing and what might have caused the drop.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

beemerbeeper
on 8/26/11 2:11 am - AL
Bean,

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through something so frightening.  Since there are some indicators that this is what it is (even tho the B1 lab is not back) are they treating you for it?  Are you feeling better yet?

Swinging a variety of dogs here and hope to hear good news real soon.

~Becky