One step closer to DS

RKLC2002
on 8/27/11 8:47 am - Omaha, NE

I had my final pre-op tests on Friday.   I did this in 2008 as well, but I chickened out because I am self-pay.  This time, I've decided that I HAVE to do this for my health.   I'm still very nervous about doing it.  I'm not nervous about the DS itself, but just having surgery in general.  I keep thinking that being nervous is the fact that I'm understanding that this is not without risks.   But, the payoff will be worth it.

Once Dr. Anthone gets my test results, I believe my next step will be to give the money, then I'll get a date scheduled with the final pre-op tests that happen within 2 weeks of the surgery. 

What was amazing was that when I met with my PCP and the professionals that did my tests, they were all very encouraging about how successful the surgery is and how much I will gain from it.  That definitely made me feel better as well. 

I hope that my feelings are normal regardless of being self pay or insurance paid.

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

teachmid
on 8/27/11 8:53 am - OKC, OK
The nerves are normal. Surgery is a big step, no matter what it is. I was self pay for my revision and remember saying "OMG the money!". DH reminded me this was an investment in my health and my life.

Good luck as your journey progresses.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/11 10:01 am
Yes, being nervous is completely normal!  It is a very big step, as you well know.  But it is worth it!  I just had the DS with Dr. Anthone on the 5th, and he and all the nurses/staff took very good care of me.  Methodist is a nice hospital.  I'm doing great btw!
Nurse N.
on 8/27/11 12:48 pm
Yes this is totally normal. Thankfully my insurance is paying for my surgery, but I can honestly say with my surgery being less almost a week away, I'm very nervous. I was able to get my affairs in order, so that kind of ease my worries. But in general just having surgery makes me nervous. I wasn't that nervous with getting this stupid crapband, but knowing the extent of the DS and my hospital stay scares me. It could be that I haven't been away from my kids that long. Definitely keep us posted on your progress.

Nika

Lapband September 2007------>Revision to Duodenal Switch September 6, 2011

*A SETBACK IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A COMEBACK!

RKLC2002
on 8/27/11 1:03 pm - Omaha, NE
Thanks Nika.  Wishing you the best on your upcoming surgery.  Keep us posted.  I'm sure you'll do fantastic.

Cheers to our new lives!!  : )

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013