deer meat

jenflock
on 8/26/11 2:47 am - TN
so a friend is hooking me up with some wild game.  Ok now what the heck do I do with it.  I know its super lean and due to that may not be as easy on my stomach..are there any tricks you all use?? any recipes that I simply must try? I love the idea of "free" meat and I love it when friends prepare it but just can't seem to get the same yum factor that they do.

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 3:14 am
It depends on the cuts. Ground venison is usually mixed with a little beef fat and makes the BEST meatloaf.

Tenderloin is great sliced thin and dredged in egg, then in a flour/spice mixture to make chicken-fried venison.

Other cuts can be marinated and cooked slowly in beef stew or made into a nice chili.

Hope that helps! Now I'm hungry LOL

Hugs,
Ratkity
jenflock
on 8/26/11 3:20 am - TN
thanks, actually that does help..I honestly hadn't considered meatloaf but it's a terrific idea.  I make the crappiest chili..never the right consistancy or spice.  the egg dredged into flour sounds promising..do you suppose soy flour would work ok??  I appreciate you

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 3:27 am
Never tried soy flour, but crushed corn flakes would work. Just add salt, pepper, paprika.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Fran-I Am
on 8/26/11 3:34 am
You can make Bambi Burgers. I just added an envelope of dried onion soup mix with the meat and made them. I also liked marinating the steaks in onion soup mix. It would take the "gamey" taste out.
jenflock
on 8/26/11 3:37 am - TN
Those are terrific ideas. now I just have to sneak the "bambi" burgers past the kids!! lol.  I will try all of this and report back how it goes.  Thanks

Mdae
on 8/26/11 3:59 am
so jealous.  love venison.  as a kid i used to wake up at 5am and make my dad share some for breakfast.  good stuff!

StacyAnn07
on 8/26/11 5:41 am - Del City, OK
I could live off of deer jerky!! Hubby makes it so I have no clue how to do it but I'm sure google would answer that question. I've had it in a meatloaf too and wow oh wow YUM!

CharleeG
on 8/26/11 6:04 am - Jonesboro, AR
I'd rather have deer meat than beef almost anytime. I Googled 'Venison Recipes' and got gobs of links. Just remember with big pieces, low and slow. Thin pieces, hot and quick. Enjoy!

jenflock
on 8/26/11 6:39 am - TN
I will have to start googling.  thanks!! I so need to go pick the meat up and get going with the cooking.. These have been great ideas and I appreciate it.