AFTER 1 year DSers?

carebearsuzzan
on 8/26/11 3:29 am - CA

OK so I am reading alot of "labs" being all crazy in different areas, I have decided to go with the DS after researching the RNY and DS, I have a family member who is 6 months out and is so far doing amazing~ However,  I'm reading posts that have me concerned I was wondering are vitamin deficiencies caused by not following your doc orders or do u have to play with em to balance em out, or will you be OK as long as u supplement and do your labs often?  I know everyone is different and they will fluctuate but is it a known problem that is most likely going to always happen or most likely not common ,just want a realistic forever and what to expect later on.....  thank you

Kathleen F.
on 8/26/11 3:41 am

Depends on the doctor. Most of them do not recommend sufficient amounts. You are right, one needs to play with them to balance them out. Get your labs and adjust accordingly. Vitalady has recommendations for us that have worked very well for many of us. If you don't have them, I am sure someone will be along soon with links for you.

For the most part you will be able to handle your deficiencies with little problem as long as you pay attention to your labs.  Because of the nature of our surgery you will always have to pay attention to this. Don't do what I did for a while and not pay attention to it (you can read my story on my profile). You will pay a price for that. 

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/26/11 3:52 am
Well, I'm over 3 years out, and take a consistent batch of vitamins, and things stay fairly level.

I read a post a few minutes ago, where a gal on this board had b1 tank since her last labs, and doesn't yet know why. That's not common, and there may be something else going on, but it's one reason we do continue to get regular labs, and adjust as we go. She's one of the peeps here who is on top of things, so you know it isn't one of those post where they just forgot or neglected things, so it really gets your attention. MOST of the posts I see (and usually on the main board here) where something gets that far off track, is when the person is clueless about their vitamin needs, or is just careless. I assume most of us go into WLS understanding our needs, and put you in that group. Just by the fact you're asking this question, you seem to understand we need to go into this informed to stay healthy.

Most of us tweak things a bit as we go, to keep them in range, as we try to avoid having things get too far out of whack. This is also why it's important to track your own labs, to watch for trends, rather than waiting for something to be so wrong it gets flagged at the labs and a doctor tells you about it.

With the RNY, it is just as important to monitor your labs, and tweak as necessary, but you wouldn't know it by some of the posts on the main board.

carebearsuzzan
on 8/26/11 3:58 am - CA
Thank you~~:)
beemerbeeper
on 8/26/11 4:10 am - AL
I don't go by what my surgeon recommends.  I go by what VitaLady recommends. I got labs 4 times the first year and 3 times the second year and will do them twice during my 3rd year unless I have issues on my last labs for my second year.

There is almost always a solution if you have problems with your labs.  Low iron seems to be the most common problem but is solved with infusions for most people.

The lab/vitamin experts here have been great about advising me and Vita Lady will also advise you if you ask. 

How well you will do?  Don't have that crystal ball.  But if you supplement correctly and get enough protein and get ALL the labs you need in a timely fashion you should not expect major problems.

It is the folks who don't supplement correctly and don't get labs who wind up in a world of hurt in the vast majority of instances.

~Becky

Sarah F.
on 8/26/11 4:14 am
I have hashimoto's thyroiditis and was getting my blood drawn every other month for a couple of years. Big help to drink a lot of water in the morning of the blood draw. All of mine are fasting blood draws. If i could drink 32oz of water the morning of the draws they seemed to be alot easier.

Do the vets know if the labs will be fasting or anytime for Vit levels?
beemerbeeper
on 8/26/11 4:57 am - AL
Yes the labs are fasting labs.

~Becky

carebearsuzzan
on 8/26/11 7:07 am - CA
good question~ hanks for the answers everyone:)
Janet P.
on 8/26/11 5:25 am
I am 8-1/2 years post op and I am constantly changing my vitamins depending on my lab results. I get labs done twice a year and maintain a spreadsheet of all my lab results (from the beginning). If I see things trending downward or upward, I make adjustments accordingly. At this point in time I am happy to say I don't have any deficiencies but I take alot of vitamins (40+ per day) to maintain a normal level.

Like you said, everyone is different so you never know what you could or would be deficient in, which is why getting your labs checked regularly is more important than almost anything.

I think part of the decision to have the DS is knowing if you can make that kind of commitment - taking vitamins, getting labs done, eating protein, drinking, water, yada yada yada.

FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

MsBatt
on 8/26/11 7:51 am
This is really a YMMV sort of thing, and it's REALLY IMPORTANT to track your OWN labs---do NOT rely on your PCP to do it.

I'm coming up on 8 years post-op, and I've tweaked things every couple of years---and I have JUST NOW started taking iron, because I've just now started to see it decline. Others have iron problems from the get-go.