Massive weight loss and dentalwork issues?

DarcyMad
on 8/25/11 3:08 am - Cedar Park, TX
Hellooooo out there!

Well, I'm 9 mos out and down 98 lbs!  I can't believe how well this surgery/recovery has gone for me.  I love that I can pick and choose when to be bad (and gassy!) but that most of the time my protein and fat intake keep me more than satiated.  The sharts are a thing of yesterday, thank goodness!  LOL  My body seems to have really calmed down nicely.

I've gone from a size 20 to a size 8.  From 251 to 153.  Yes, I was a lightweight!  I'm thankful every day for the choice I've made.  I couldn't have done it without everyone's help here.  So a big THANK YOU to all of you, especially the vets!

Now - on to my question!

For those of you who've lost a lot of weight....did you have to get crowns re-glued or dentures re-done?  I don't have dentures!  LOL  But I do have 2 crowns.  Both seem to be coming loose and I know weight loss can affect your mouth/teeth/gums.  Not in a disease or malnutritive way but bones and/or gums shrink too.  At least I thought that's what I had heard before.  If you've had these types of issues, please share your story!

Thanks!
DarcyMad
Surgery Date:  11/15/2010
Jewel506 is my Angel!    Angel to Kristi (Momx4)
Anything that is, or was, began as a dream - Lavagirl 

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/25/11 3:24 am, edited 8/25/11 10:33 am - Tuvalu

Yup...right about at 100 pounds, my gums lost weight and a couple of my crowns started to have margin issues...there was space for cavities to form between the gum and the crown.  (At this point in my life, I'm MOSTLY crowns, sorry to say.)

And keep an eye on your PTH just in case.  If your calcium numbers are fine it means there is calcium in your bloodstream.  But that could come from the food and supplements you're taking OR from your teeth and bones.  The PTH will tell you which.

Congrats on the good work.

DarcyMad
on 8/25/11 3:35 am - Cedar Park, TX
Wonderful!  I'd better start saving!  I'm hoping they only have to build up the post a little more and not order a whole new crown...ugh!  Those are expensive!

Thanks for the heads up!
DarcyMad

Blob_on_the_Beach
on 8/25/11 3:28 am - On a pedestal, TX
I had a crown that came out about 10 months after DS surgery. I read somewhere online that your gums do shrink with weight loss. I went in for a cleaning 3 weeks ago and it was the first time in years I was told that my gums look really good. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with losing weight but I really haven't changed anything I was doing with my teeth. So YEAH!

DarcyMad
on 8/25/11 3:36 am - Cedar Park, TX
I can only hope they'll say the same about mine!  LOL
DarcyMad

J G.
on 8/25/11 3:54 pm
I'm betting it is because you are so much healthier now and have far less inflamation in your body! 
Blob_on_the_Beach
on 8/25/11 3:40 am - On a pedestal, TX
Darcy, I forgot to add that they were able to reglue mine. The crown was about 5 years old and still in good shape. Hopefully that's all you'll need. With insurance it was still around $100.

Michelle B.
on 8/25/11 8:48 am - Cleveland, OH
Hi Darcy..I'm a little of 9 months out as well and I had to get a crown replaced for margin reasons as Sue described above.
   - Michelle -

HW: 315 | SW: 273 | CW: 142.2| GW: 125-130

Imissthe80s
on 8/25/11 10:23 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Wow! Every little part of you shrinks, even things you don't even think about! I'm in awe....

J G.
on 8/25/11 3:57 pm

Des, my feet are smaller.  I never expected that!  -Jenny