POST REVISION and NOT losing - too early for the bull

Monique A.
on 8/25/11 9:15 am - NY
I am post op for revision July 19 from Lap RNY to LAP DS. preop I has 125cm 100 bypassed and roux limb was 25cm. now I have 150cm ailmentary adn 125cm CC. I am nearly 6 wks out and I have not lost a single pound in 4 weeks. HAd some early post op complications where I was on TPN for a week for a presumed leak which is all better now . I can not figure out why I not losing any weight. Tried speaking to the nutritionist she was useless.
I am barely eating much- what I am getting in is fluids and protein. maybe btwn 45-60g average a day. of protein and 48-60oz fluids a day. Proteins source are mostly thru diet. for now I cant do protein shakes much. mb twicea wk. I have no clue what is going on is this normal variant for revision? DOctor offers no explanation. Others that had revision around the same time as me have already lost twice as much. even a VSG lost twice as much in the exact same time span. I never had this problem b4 with being a slow loser. mb something else is wrong? physically I feel fine, I only did this to loose weight so WTH where is the freakin weight lost!

I know you vets hear this complaint often but patience can not be the only solution. I have not lost any weight in the last 4 weeks and surgery was less than 6 wks ago. that cant be normal. 
Twi light
on 8/25/11 10:03 am, edited 8/25/11 10:03 am - NY
I am not a revision or a vet, i didnt lose anything for over 3.5 weeks. I am only 6 weeks out, lost 24 pounds, first 12 was during the first week, and the last 12 was recently in the past week. You are not alone, i think this can be normal for some. I assume it is just my body adjusting, i did notice inches lost but no weight in terms of #s on scale.

Have you been losing inches ? 

*ticker weight includes preop loss*

Elizabeth N.
on 8/25/11 10:43 am - Burlington County, NJ
What else do you think could be wrong?

Basically the only advice right now would be to increase your calories. You must eat in order to lose weight.

Now, quit comparing yourself to others. You had trouble in the beginning and that could very well have simply slowed everything down.

If you're really afraid you have something medically wrong, then talk to your surgeon about it.

There really ARE plenty of people who post here having not lost a pound for weeks, even early out. You are by no means that unusual.

beemerbeeper
on 8/25/11 10:46 am - AL
Up your protein and WAY up your fluids.  Have you tried a cake shake if you don't like the drinks?  Have you gotten shake samples from Vita Lady?

~Becky

NoMore B.
on 8/25/11 11:02 am
A stall around one month out is so normal, but I can see where you'd be frustrated that you haven't lost in 4 weeks.

Are you retaining any fluids from the TPN?  Are you in your monthly cycle?

I was also on TPN for awhile and didnt lose while I was on it, but went on to lose quickly afterwards.  I would up your protein and fluids,, too, just as Becky said.

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/11 11:15 am
Lots of people stop losing at 4-6 weeks time as their body heals and adjusts to the insult we've made it endure.  I know I certainly did.

As a revision and a major yo-yo dieter, my body has been a slow loser. It easily goes into starvation mode.  Seems to be a sweet spot with how much I eat and losing.

You are still early out to be worrying. Just get your fluids in!!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Shavonne P.
on 8/25/11 11:16 pm
Monique -

I didn't lost weeks 4-8.  I also was frustrated, but I was still losing inches.  Then I started losing a lb here, 2 lbs there.  Lost 4 lbs this week alone and I noticed that I am eating a little more than I had been previously, so I think my body was in need of the calories.
Nothing feels better than being able to go into ANY store and fit their clothes!
Christine X.
on 8/25/11 11:56 pm - TX
As a revision and a vet, this is a frustrating time for you as it was for me. I was only eating about 1200 calories before my revision and of course, that dropped to half in the first few weeks because of healing.

First, revisions lose more slowly. Our bodies do not benefit from the restriction as much as virgin DSers. Our bodies have already learned to compensate for the drop in intake.

Second, we have to eat more than we did before surgery which is a weird weird feeling. Our bodies were already slowed to process and store the energy we were inputing so any reduction causes us to go into starvation mode. Anything and everything gets stored. Increasing the input will help the body to relax.

Third, your main source of weight loss will be from the malabsorbation so chose your foods accordingly. Sugars and simple carbs are absorbed at about 100%. Proteins at about 60%. So go with Proteins. Eat the chicken out of enchiladas, leave the tortillas. Eat beans and chili with cheese and sour cream. Eat creamy tuna salad with lots of real mayo and tiny tiny chopped pickles. Drink shakes made with half and half or whole milk (has fewer carbs than skim milk).

And lastly, be patient. It will just take you longer to get from a to b. It took me a little over a year to lose 100 pounds (excess weight was 115 pounds). Good solid loss but slower than someone who gets the benefit of both the restriction and malabsorbtion. Hang in there.
Christine  "Life is like a jar of jalapenos.  What you
do today, might burn your ass tomorrow".
Check out www.dsfacts.com for information on Duodenal Switch