Acceptable Liquid/Mushy Food Choice Post-Op?

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/11 6:56 am
DS on 02/01/12
Not wanting to brag, but I make a delicious chicken tortilla soup. It is a staple in our house. I was just thinking about eating post-op and wondering if my original recipe (though tweaked to lower the carb count - no tortillas - and add pureed chicken breast for protein's sake instead of using diced chicken) would be ok for the liquid/mushy phase, or if the spices in it would cause discomfort and/or pain to my healing stomach. The soup isn't spicy but is full of flavor. I hate eggdrop soup so I'm looking for a soup alternative that has some protein in it. Feedback is appreciated.

2 quarts chicken stock (made from boiling water & bouillon granules)
1 29 oz can tomato puree
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
1 large onion, pureed
4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pre-cooked & pureed

Add in cheddar cheese & plain Greek yogurt (which works surprisingly well as a sour cream substitute.)
(deactivated member)
on 8/25/11 7:28 am
I lives off chicken tortilla soup from El pollo Loco, for the first month after my DS. (Minus the tortillas of course.)  Just chewed the heck out of chicken.
(deactivated member)
on 8/25/11 8:00 am
DS on 02/01/12
This is great to know! I don't like regular tomato soup so knowing that tortillaless chicken tortilla soup is ok to eat makes me happy.
MizCharlotte
on 8/25/11 7:54 am - Spring, TX
I am on my way out the door, headed to HEB right now. 

Thanks, it looks yummy!
(deactivated member)
on 8/25/11 7:59 am
DS on 02/01/12
If you're back on regular foods, I also would add in some cilantro and a can of Rotel tomatoes w/ green chiles. That's how I always make it, but I don't think either of those two would be ok to eat for new pre-ops. =)
Piliper
on 8/25/11 8:05 am
 For me it was Fage Total (full fat) Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Also, roast beef deli slices and cream cheese rolls. 

SW: 383 GW: 180 CW: 157

ambermay
on 8/25/11 8:12 am
I am on mushies right now and I eat buffallo chicken wing dip, deli meat, cheese, greek yogurt, scrambled eggs, chilli, refried beans, with sour cream and cheese..  Just chew chew chew.  I would say that your soup would be fine. 

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

litebrite
on 8/25/11 8:19 am - Telford, PA
That soups sounds yummy, I bookmarked it.  thanks

OMG AMBERMAY!  I know we had surgery days apart.  I am on baby food.  Is the buffalo chicken dip or chili, spicy?  I am so afraid to try spicy even though I love it. 
DS on 8/15/11

ambermay
on 8/25/11 8:49 am
Well they are made with hot sauce.  So yeah a little hot.  Does not bother me at all!  I am pretty sure the fat from the dip has been helping with the poop.  Since I started all my pills, things firmed up well.  I know it sounds wierd... but I kinda feel like I didn't just have surgery LOL.  I obviously can only eat a couple ounces but other then that and my poop, I feel normal.

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

Elizabeth N.
on 8/25/11 8:44 am - Burlington County, NJ
It would have caused me large amounts of misery, but from the tomatoes more than the spices. You could always give it a try and see how it goes. Just run it through the blender and go for it.