Get out the umbrella, I think I'm raining on a parade

ModestoK
on 8/25/11 6:37 am
Has anyone tried the "miracle noodles" I've been hearing about?   I've no idea how they work and/or taste.  The fact that you have to rinse, rinse, rinse them or they taste fishy has kept me from trying them so far.
Supposedly, they have almost no calories and IF rinsed enough, no taste so they will work well with a variety of sauces.

I tried dreamfields and did have some gas and bloating, but I live alone so it is worth it occassionally.  

OP - did you store cooked noodles in sauce?  I read on the DF site that to preserve the carb blocking matrix you should only cook as much as you will eat immediately.  If you store cooked pasta in sauce, it somehow converts the pasta to full carb levels.
(deactivated member)
on 8/25/11 7:35 am
Yep, making some for dinner tonight.  I don't think they're that good, honestly.  They are a plant based product with no calories.  Yes, they smell fishy for some reason but if you rinse them, that goes away. 

They taste like, frankly, nothing.  Have very little texture either.  Hard to describe. 

They are really expensive, wouldn't buy them again honestly. 
Kathleen F.
on 8/26/11 2:20 am
The shiritaki/tofu noodles have very little taste. I find that throwing them in boiling water for a minute firms up the texture. If you are going to use a sauce over it, then dry off well with paper towels first. I like the "spaghetti" version as the noodles in my own version of ramen. Worked really well like that. I just saw Hungry Girl on TV the other day and she was using shiritaki/tofu noodles. She mixed Laughing Cow cheese and sour cream in it. I haven't tried it, but it looked good. Here, I found the recipe: Fettuccine Hungry Girlfredo. There is also a recipe for a tuna noodle skillet: Speedy Tuna Noodle Skillet
Elizabeth N.
on 8/26/11 8:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
ICK. Not for anything except in Japanese food. NEVER as a pasta substitute. BLECH.

I also think it's profoundly silly to put something with zero nutritional value, not even calories for energy, into a belly with very limited space.

Elizabeth N.
on 8/25/11 9:13 am - Burlington County, NJ
I ABHOR Dreamfields. If I want pasta, I eat good quality stuff in small quantities. But I have no gluten issues, so that's an okay option for me. Might not be for others.

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/11 11:36 am
I do better with a little bit of the real thing than I do with low carb crapola.
halblingefrau
on 8/25/11 3:20 pm - Flagstaff, AZ
I used to do the spaghetti squash a lot pre-op.  My hubby didn't like it but I loved it.  Perfect "vehicle" for home made pasta sauces and whatnot.  It sure won't taste like spaghetti, but when it's covered in a quality pasta sauce and a sprinkle of parmesean cheese, who cares?

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/26/11 1:52 am
Thanks for posting that.  I avoid pasta due to issues with carbs, but was considering the Dreamfiled. Not anymore. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."