Get out the umbrella, I think I'm raining on a parade

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/11 3:40 am
I've been debating posting this for some time but I figured I'd post what I know and let you come to your own conclusion.  It's about Dreamfield's Pasta

DISCLAIMER - I am VERY sensitive to carbs.  One grain of sugar on 6 lbs of beef would make my blood sugar get all wacky.  Okay, so here it is:

I did the Atkins diet thing for a long time and lost weight.  I was struggling with no pasta (I'm VERY traditional Italian - big Sunday dinners with lots of family were a weekly thing).  In my local low carb store, I found Dreamfield's pasta and thought they named it appropriate - I was in a dream!

Took it home and cooked up the meager portion size to get my "5 net grams of carbs" and couldn't believe how delicious it was.  I ate normally the rest of the day and noticed I was up a pound the next morning.

Hmmm.  Must be normal fluctuation as the pound came off two days later. 

Next Sunday I tried the pasta again at a family dinner.  Monday up a pound again. 

Hmmm.

I began to notice that I went up a pound each time I ingested the pasta.  PLUS I was starving the next day which led me to suspect there were more to the pasta than meets the eye. 

My father in law is a diabetic and he was just trying the pasta too.  He checked his blood sugar after eating it  - it was fine.  3 hours later, he was showing me his new meter ("no more painful finger *****s!"  Dunno, looked painful to me.) He was surprised to see that after eating nothing else his had sugar spiked to 159.  It took a lot of water, drinking some vinegar (!) and a walk to bring his blood surgar back down.  

Needless to say - no more pasta for me.

I saw this journal a bit ago over the summer.  Supports what we saw.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/2/e17.full 

SO, all I'm saying is that if it works for you - terrific!  If not, this could be why.  I still search for excellent low carb pasta.  Haven't found it yet.  :(
Katy S.
on 8/25/11 3:43 am - WA
Ya that stuff is bad news for me kills my stomach I have only tried it 3x all 3x was miserable later that day/next day... not happening
"Hi, my name is Katy...and I am a meat eating spin junkie"
HW: 336/DOS: 306/CW: 153/GW: 140?
~ CSz: 5 - S/M

* G1: 199# 09/28/11 * G2: 175# 11/30/11 * G3: 160# 12/09/11(
"People too weak to follow their dreams, will always try to find a way to discourage yours"

beemerbeeper
on 8/25/11 3:45 am - AL
The only time I have ever thrown up since my DS was after eating a few bites of DF pasta.  So I never tried it again.  After reading what you wrote I'm glad it didn't become a staple of my diet.

~Becky

Blob_on_the_Beach
on 8/25/11 3:49 am - On a pedestal, TX
If you can find it, try spagetti squash. I LOVE it, but for some reason around here it's very hard to find and when I do it cost 6-7 bucks for one. Not sure when it's in season.  It's great with all different sauces too. I know, I know, it's not real pasta but it's a good substitute with hardley any calories or carbs. Good Luck!

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/11 4:59 am - Lancaster, OH
In Ohio, it's in season in late summer/early fall, but, since it's squa**** hangs around for quite a while after that.
LOVE onions and mushrooms sauteed in butter, with SS.
Thanks for the reminder!
Renee2007
on 8/25/11 3:51 am - Central, FL
 I was not successful in eating it either. I have never had problems with my blood sugar but it bloated me terribly and I had major gas from it. 

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Emily F.
on 8/25/11 3:59 am
I never believed Dreamfields was not really high in carbs, never bought that.
(deactivated member)
on 8/25/11 4:13 am
I just see it on here SO often, I thought I'd put it out there.  It just tasted too damn good to be true.  AND I'm glad I figured that out pre-op rather than post-op.  Avoided some "issues" I'm sure!
jenflock
on 8/25/11 5:19 am - TN
I know it's too good to be true.  BUT sometimes..not very often..only when I'm having a carb attack, I will have a small spoon of it with loads of high protein "stuff" on top.  Don't worry about the rain, we are all allowed to di**** out on occasion.  I have an iron gut and sometimes wish I didn't because I don't get that good ol negative reinforcement.  I LOVE the spagetti squash idea. may have to try that.  

Band to DS
on 8/25/11 6:34 am, edited 2/3/12 10:56 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!