question

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 8:49 am
 I made an earlier post about surgeons in my state (Louisiana) and after getting advice from people here and doing my own research i know it's best to travel. Here's where i hit a brick wall. My insurance only allows me to see dr's in THIS state. Is there any way around this or should i just consider self pay?? 

p.s.. my insurance is through Humana
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/24/11 8:58 am
 I'm not the best to answer this, so hopefully someone with the exact info you need will pop in here soon, but I know folks that gotten the OK to go to a surgeon outside their state, because the DS wasn't done there. 

I don't know of any (well, no VETTED DS surgeons) in LA, so I would contact Humana, and ask what they need to make this happen. 

I sent a text to a RL friend that went through this, but know he's at the ocean, and there is spotty cell reception there and he may not get my message till Monday.
butercup
on 8/24/11 9:55 am - Kennewick, WA
Call the insurance would be my advice. Ask them about the vetted surgeons that you want to go to and see if they're in your network. Try to work with them, there may be a way around it.
(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 10:02 am, edited 1/27/12 3:45 am
beemerbeeper
on 8/24/11 11:22 am - AL
You might get more responses if you would edit your thread title to be something more specific than "question."  This is a busy forum and people tend to only open threads that look like something they are interested in or know about.

Out of network insurance appeal possible???  Might be a better title.

~Becky

gak
on 8/24/11 1:26 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Not sure who they want you to go see, but I would RUN from Louisiana docs, especially Dr Warden... RUN RUN RUN  .. .. go read my profile for more info. Feel free to pm me if you have questions. I know about some of the others there as well... A post with a Dr name in it will help get more answers as well.

Please invest in a vetted well known DS doc, it will life so much easier !

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

J G.
on 8/24/11 3:20 pm
Write a letter to your insurance company saying that because there is no surgeon locally who performs the DS Surgery that you would like them to consider Dr.______ as being "in network" for you.
(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 7:45 am
Thanks for all the advice. I spoke to the bariatric department for my insurance and there wasn't much she could help me with. I explained that i wanted a vetted surgeon. She looked up Dr Stewart as well as Dr Smith and she said they aren't in my network. It's really frustrating but i told her even if i have to make a list with every vetted surgeon and hospital i will and i'll call her back and put her hiney to work lol she insisted that i try a dr in louisiana and i had to repeat myself about wanting a VETTED surgeon. so i plan on contacting her monday with all the dr's listed on dsfacts.com and hopefully at least 1 is in my network. thanks again