surgeons doing RNY to DS revision

alaja957
on 8/24/11 12:27 pm
I thought there was a list somewhere of surgeons who are experienced in specifically RNY to DS revisions.  I can find the list of surgeons on dsfacts.com and a list of surgeons on here that do revisions but not necessarily surgeons who do the RNY to DS. 

I have already researched Dr. Roslin and have found some less than positive reviews despite his level of experience.  I guess I want to be fully informed and feel like I did all my research before I pick my surgeon. 

I would appreciate any information. 
sandy_mt
on 8/24/11 12:44 pm

You have Dr. Greenbaum (I think he's in NJ), but I don't know if he's doing these revisions anymore.  You would have to contact his office.  

Two of the best surgeons are on the west coast:  Dr. Keshishian and Dr. Rabkin (both in California).

Dr. Gagner in Montreal. 

Dr. Ungson in Mexico.  

Maybe others will have more input.  

Sandy

sandy_mt
on 8/24/11 1:12 pm
 If you don't get many responses it's because this question has been asked oodles of times.  If you do a search for "RNY DS revision surgeon", you'll find a lot of posts to review.  

Just curious, what negatives did you hear about Dr. Roslin?  Other than his not being a "warm and fuzzy" type of doc, what else did you find?  I couldn't find anything bad when I researched him before my surgery.

Sandy

lauralisi
on 8/24/11 3:50 pm - Dona Ana, NM
Courtesy of Janie in Alaska

think the best 2 pieces of advice that I have been given over the years are #1....... RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH.  and #2........... Go to a surgeon who does ALL 4 WLS!!!!!!  That way you get accurate information, and the surgeon will not try and sway you into an ERNY.

Dr. Rabkin, Dr. Keshishian, both are located in California

(((((I had a face-to face consult with Dr. Keshishian March 2, 2011.  I do have his cash pay fees:
These are just the Surgeons FEES Only!!!!
Open DS: $8650.00
Lap DS: $9525.00
Sleeve: $2000.00

REVISIONS:
Revision - Lap Band to DS: $8650.00
Revision - RNY, VBG, Fobi Pouch, or other unknow bariactric procedure to DS: $11,000.00
(I was told that the $4,000.00 program fee is included in this $11,000.00 fee)
On my paper
work, The hospital fee (I think it was for a 4 day stay) was $17,500.00)))))

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States

Dr. Gagner, located in Canada

Dr. Ungson, located in Mexico

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil (Ilove this guy!)

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 9:44 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Dr. Greenbaum is still doing RNY to DS revisions, on a case-by-case basis. 
larra
on 8/25/11 12:49 am - bay area, CA
Dr. Ungson is a well regarded Ds surgeon, but I don't think he does RNY to DS revisions (I could be wrong)

Dr. Roslin has a great reputation. I don't know what your research showed about him, hopefully something about his bedside manner rather than his skills, but if you are on the East coast I hope you will seriously consider him.

Larra
nightowl
on 8/25/11 7:20 am - Topeka, KS
Regarding Dr. Ungson and RNY-to-DS, there is a member here who went to him for that and was disappointed.  Her avatar picture was a pair of yellow and black striped flip-flops.  I haven't seen her around lately.  He left her with a pouch, and basically a BPD without DS.
nightowl
on 9/14/11 7:32 pm - Topeka, KS
I am updating some posts I have made recently on this topic, now that I have found some of what I was thinking of.

The person whose name I could not recall I have now found to go by 505dardar.
I may have misspoken when I said she went for an RNY-to-DS.  I see that she refers to her initial WLS as a 20-year old stomach stapling procedure.  I am thinking, but not sure, that sometimes years ago the old term stomach stapling could refer to a vertical banded gastroplasty OR a RNY (or maybe something else).  In any case, she was displeased to end up with a pouch and food not going through her pylorus, when she went for a full DS.

Larra, I'm not trying to get you to read her whole history, but for other readers who are looking for a revision and considering Dr. Ungson, I think they may want to be aware of her experience.
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/board_id,5357/user_id,833064/a ,messageboard/action,memberPosts/page,1/
NoMore B.
on 8/25/11 11:11 am
I've not heard any negatives about Dr Roslin, and know him fairly well.  He's not a hand holder, his personality is a stereotypical NY surgeon, but his surgical skill is excellent.  He's also a well known proponent of the DS and sees revisions as a failure of the procedure and not of the patient. 

Like most other DS surgeons, his nutrtionist is worthless but he is very into follow up on his patients and the whole "patient for life" type concept.  I'd be curious on the negatives you heard (other than his personality).
nightowl
on 9/14/11 7:13 pm - Topeka, KS
Besides personality, the one negative thing, among many good things, I think of from him is Melody's E.'s late complications that I think he dismissed, because he couldn't see radiological evidence at the time.  My understanding is that Pomp did agree to look in a return surgery, and did find problems that were missed by scans or other radiological tools.