Surgeon Chosen - Date Set - Now Comes the Waiting...

kramer5
on 8/24/11 11:54 am - Washington, KS
After a lot of discussion with surgeons, scheduling (and cancelling) with a surgeon I never really felt comfortable with, and a lot of soul searching I have chosen my surgeon and set a date.

I will be having Lapband to DS surgery on Sept. 6th with Dr. Verboneen.  He was my lapband surgeon and I feel really comfortable having surgery with him again.  I asked him tons of questions and his answers are comforting to me:

1.  He has done 250+ lapband to ds revisions with no complications beyond diarreha, vomiting, and pain control in a few patients.
2.  He has done 300+ virgin ds's.
3.  He has performed over 14,000 bariatric procedures with no deaths and only one instance of a leak which was a by-pass patient.

I understand that he's not on the vetted list and that some may question my choice (and that's ok) but having had surgery with him before, and his willingness to answer all my questions, have made me feel comfortable with my decision (unlike my first decision...there was just something that didn't feel right and I can't explain it).

I hope that you'll wish me luck and send me a few good vibes.
Dawn

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 12:07 pm
 I don't know him, but with stats like that, in my opinion, he deserves to be on the vetted list.  I'm surprised I haven't heard of him.  Time to do some research.

Wishing you all the best!
Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/24/11 12:09 pm, edited 8/24/11 12:10 pm - Tuvalu

I can't do that.

He's a pleasant enough guy.  He's done an unfill for me.  He was nice and attentive and kind.  He has lots of happy band patients.  And he cleared up his earlier problems with insurance fraud.  ( docs.google.com/viewer

But he still seems to be creating unhappy patients.  (www.complaintsboard.com/bycompany/dr-sergio-verboonen-a31744 8.html  )

And he's done "300 virgin DSs" and "250+ lapband to ds revisions?"  Sorry, but...bull****

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 12:33 pm
 Major red flags.  Thanks Sue.  That would explain why I haven't heard of him.  (Recant of above and strong encouragement to reconsider based on fraudulent activity.  I couldn't believe a word he told me knowing the above information.)
Nicolle
on 8/24/11 10:19 pm
Oh. You're just mean. Go away, mean vet!

Do NOT make me do research and do NOT make me place value on my life!

Gees! Killjoy!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Elizabeth N.
on 8/24/11 12:38 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Hmmm. I smell a liar in that doctor. I do wish you luck and hope that I am wrong.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/24/11 12:41 pm, edited 8/24/11 12:41 pm - Tuvalu

His website doesn't even MENTION the DS.

www.drsergioverboonen.com/

Nicolle
on 8/24/11 10:20 pm
Oh. You're just mean. Go away, mean vet!

Do NOT make me do research and do NOT make me place value on my life!

Gees! Killjoy!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

beemerbeeper
on 8/24/11 12:45 pm - AL
I hope and pray that you are a person who can take new information and make careful reconsideration of decisions that you have made.

Because your life depends on your ability to do just that.

Please listen to these vets who know what they are speaking of.

And how could it be possible that he has done 300 DS surgeries and not a one of them had EVER posted on this forum?  That just does not compute. 

I can't take another loss so soon.

~Becky

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/24/11 1:02 pm - Tuvalu
On August 24, 2011 at 7:45 PM Pacific Time, beemerbeeper wrote:
I hope and pray that you are a person who can take new information and make careful reconsideration of decisions that you have made.

Because your life depends on your ability to do just that.

Please listen to these vets who know what they are speaking of.

And how could it be possible that he has done 300 DS surgeries and not a one of them had EVER posted on this forum?  That just does not compute. 

I can't take another loss so soon.

~Becky

No, Becky...not 300.  He's apparently claiming to have done 550.