Last minute things for the hospital

AllieInOntario
on 8/23/11 10:51 pm
Walmart sells "Body Pillows".    I brought mine with me for my hospital visit.  It really never left my side for about 2 to 3 weeks post op.  I would wedge it against any place that needed back/body support.   They're usually about 15 to 20 bucks.   Very useful to help get you comfortable.
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 1:33 am - Beverly, NJ
The bariatric program for Dr. Greenbaum gives you a belly pillow that you get to bring home (I love mine, I use it for my back when I'm sitting in my computer chair now) so I didn't need one. What I did need was:

chapstick
my own toothbrush and toothpaste (theirs suck)
a brush
hair tie
phone with charger
I brought a lightweight blanket from home just because I get home sick fast
My son snuck in his lovey so I wouldn't be lonely ****pt it on my nightstand)
my CPAP machine (This is numero uno important!)
and a good sense of humor

Everything else you think you might need, you won't.
If you do end up needing more, the hospital will give it to you.

As for the ass wiping stuff. Use the nurses, trust me, they've seen worse.
lwoznick
on 8/24/11 2:16 am - Green Bay, WI
I always bring ear plugs and an eye mask for those times when you want to sleep without being bothered by noise/light. I'm a very light sleeper and need a quiet, dark, cool environment to get good quality sleep....and often times those things are lacking in the hospital setting. I'm bringing a small fan too for my surgery.
Diane Davis
on 8/24/11 4:58 am
Those items would probably be good for you, but I was so drugged, and there isn't much sleep in there, I didn't find them necessary.

The hospital provided me with a fan.
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
Cowgirl_X
on 8/24/11 3:11 am
The one item I really wish I had in the hospital that I didn't take with me was underarm deoderant.  I was there for two days and never had an opportunity to shower or clean up much.
lovemypugs
on 8/24/11 3:33 am - VA
Ear plugs were my savior. I wished I had brought an eye mask and maxi pads. I ended up having to use the hospitals and they were awful. Not sure why I didn't have my sister bring me some, that would have made too much sense! Lol

Duodenal Switch on February 21, 2011

Surgery weight: 276; Current weight: 122; Height: 5'5

Plastics scheduled for 10/3/14: BL/BA, LBL, TL

halblingefrau
on 8/24/11 7:00 pm - Flagstaff, AZ
For me the most important thing I wish I would have taken was a fan.  I kept getting SO hot in my room, plus it was stuffy.  The fan helped save my sanity.

As for the butt wiping, my mom is a nurse and was my surgery companion and she wiped my ass.  I am happy to say that now, 2 weeks out, I can wipe my own ass (a feat I couldn't do before surgery without a butt buddy).