OT- making fermented pickles

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/23/11 12:31 pm
Ok, so I got sick of paying astronomical prices for real half-sour kosher pickles, and decided to have a go at making my own.

Now there's a jar of cucumbers on my counter swimming in brine, and turning cloudy with happy acid-producing microbes... (Unless I'm wrong and the brine going cloudy isn't good...)

Anyone have fermented pickling tips for this newbie? I'm using a regular mason jar and am weighting down the cucumbers with a ziplock bag filled with brine.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

J G.
on 8/23/11 3:03 pm
Yep, its been years since I made them.  I used to have one of those huge ceramic crocks and I made them down in my basement.  As I recall they got kind of nasty.  I'm kind of a prissy sort so I think I used to cheat and change the brine.  The absolute best thing is pickled watermelon rind.  It comes out sooooo crunch.  Yum.  There's also a dill pickle you can make in the canning jars without a lot of brine time, I think.  I'll look tomorrow to see if I still have the recipe.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/24/11 12:22 am
Have you tried ginger watermelon pickles? OMG, so good! They use the red fruit part for those instead of the rind, and it goes really well with pork belly.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/23/11 4:42 pm
 I haven't ever made pickles, but have been thinking about it since I read that they have some pro-biotic properties (sauerkraut too). 

Just reading your title made me go get the jar of Claussens out of the fridge. I love pickles.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/24/11 12:27 am
I was actually shocked at how easy it was to make 'em. I have to wait a few more days to find out how the pickles turn out, but it was as easy as adding spices and pickles to a glass jar, then pouring brine over it and letting it sit. As long as you have a reasonably cool place below 80 degrees to put the jar, that's all they need while they fermet.

If this batch turns out really good, I may never buy pickles again! Unless it's winter time and I can't get fresh kirbys, doh!

Mannyb23
on 8/23/11 6:40 pm - Fort Worth, TX
I love pickles and pickle juice. I wish I could make my own pickles. I would be a happy camper for sure.
My new life is beginning!         
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/24/11 12:29 am
I bought a copy of the joy of pickling, so far it's easy! all you need is a glass jar, pickling salt, spices and veggies! Give it a try, who knows?

Since it's summer time, my next batch might be dill pickled green beans.