Medications and the DS

SomethingClever
on 8/24/11 1:32 am
Sorry to bug you guys with this - I've been looking on these boards and elsewhere for an answer, and I have only succeeded in confusing myself.

How does it work with taking medications when you have the DS?  Is there a list somewhere in the universe of compatible meds (meaning ones that you can take in standard form)?

I am espeically interested to know if DS patients can take hydrocortisone in pill form after the DS, or if it would have to be an injection or some sort of suspension?  What about when you need antibiotics for an illness?

Thank you!!!!  This is just part of my preparations for my (hopefully) future DS!

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 5:42 am
 Timed release or extended release do not work with the DS. But any "regular" pills should do just fine. 
YMMV, so you may have to adjust  some meds after a time. Antibiotic work also normal. I don't know about hydrocortisone pills, but if they are not time/extended release, I would think they are fine.
SomethingClever
on 8/24/11 8:43 am
That is exactly what I was hoping to hear.  I am on one time-released medication (metformin for insulin resistence) but it does come in a non-time released version -- and god willing I won't have to take it forever if I can get this weight off.  Thank you very much for your help!
teachmid
on 8/24/11 5:55 am - OKC, OK
I'm on steroids right now for an eye problem. No problem except they make me hungry.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

gak
on 8/24/11 1:06 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
I have had to take prednisone for various reasons off and on since my DS and sometimes it makes me hungry and sometimes it does not. I have no idea why it's different, as it's always been the same dose. It helps what it is suppose to help, so I suppose that is what counts in the long run. I do increase my protein shakes when I take it to help decrease the hunger and it helps.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

freebirdmich
on 8/25/11 3:41 pm - MI
 Yeah your insulin resistance should correct with surgery. 
Elizabeth N.
on 8/25/11 9:02 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I take medications normally, including in time released versions, and have not had any issues.

SomethingClever
on 8/24/11 8:44 am
Yeah, steriods can definitely mess with you in some odd ways.  Thanks for sharing - I am thinking hydrocortisone must be OK with the DS. 

Thanks very much for your response!!