Dr. Inman Pre Op Class?

ThisIsMyUserName
on 8/23/11 10:28 am
Hello

I will be having my DS with Dr.Inman sometime soon. I switched surgeons to Dr. INmans office with all pre op req's complete and an insurance approval in place. I was contacted by her insurance coordinator last week and told to expect a call to schedule surgery. I did recieve a call from St. Vincent hospital, but it was just to pre register.  Towards the end of the call, the lady just kind of mentioned the date I should show up for pre op testing. She advised me to contact Dr.Inmans office directly to change the dates for the pre op testing. I did that and was told to contact St. Vincent hospital because the testing is done there. Round and round. . This went on for about 4 days. Eventually I recieved a set of pre op testing instructions in the mail that specifically stated to contact Heather (surgical scheduler) to change any pre op testing dates. I left a message for Heather and recieved a call back from St Vincents, the woman said she could attempt to change my pre op testing, but any other information had to come from Dr. Inmans office. The paperwork I recieved for the pre op testing has a bunch of stuff crossed out in marker. as if to say I don't need to complete those items.

Most of what is crossed out I have completed, but the information about the pre op class is crossed out as well. Its hard to tell from reading on OH whether or not the pre op class is scheduled with the testing or closer to surgery? The surgeon I switched from held the pre op testing and the pre op classes on the same day. Once the pre op testing is done when is the actual surgery scheduled?  How long is the Pre op testing day? How much later is the pr eop class scheuled if it's not on the same day as pre op testing? I am asking because I need to sort of coordinate my travels. The drive is 3 hours from my house, but the drive will take me across time zones which means I must allow an extra hour for the time difference.. I have a toddler and a school aged child, so I need at least an idea of when things will be scheduled. It makes a huge difference as to how I plan things whether or not the pre op day will be 4 hours or 7 hours because of the drive/distance. I can't really get an answer from Dr. Inman's office directly because I always get my calls returned by the hospital schedulers, and not anyone familiar with how the process should go.

Thanks
Nurse N.
on 8/23/11 11:46 am
Ok I'm having surgery with Dr. Inman on September 6th. Here's a brief synopsis of how my journey has went thus far. Initial consultation March 3rd, Psych eval March 31st, Approved for surgery on June 7th, received surgery date on June 20th (Dr. Inman was away at a Bariatric convention in Florida), nutrition class on August 2nd, and finally Pre-op testing on August 9th. Nutrition class started at 8:30 and was over around 3ish. Depending upon how large your class is, it could last longer. I was lucky enough to be in a classroom with all DS patients and it was only 4 or of us. Pre-op testing started  at 7:15 a.m. and I was in my car and driving back home at 11:30. It was a great setup, you literally went from getting labs drawn, ultrasound of your abdomen, x-ray, UGI, respiratory, and then completing your physical with an hospitalist. Only thing that would make it longer is if you have to do a stress test (for some cardiac patients), which I didn't have to do. Hope this helped, and sorry if I confused you or didn't answer all of your questions. You can always send me a private message.

Nika

Lapband September 2007------>Revision to Duodenal Switch September 6, 2011

*A SETBACK IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A COMEBACK!

PamLovesLime
on 8/23/11 1:05 pm - IN
 Pre-Op testing is different than Pre-Approval tests, so I am not sure if you are confusing the two? The Pre-Op stuff is what NewMe2007 mentions above that needs to be done within a certain time period (I believe within 30 days) of your surgery. It needs to be current to best serve you during your actual surgery.  If you don't have a date assigned for sure, I am not sure if they can schedule your pre-op testing? 

Note: While both NewMe2007 and I had easy pre-op testing schedules and finished early, things can get backed up at St Vin's if emergency situations take priority for testing -- especially in Radiology. I think they tell you to expect to be there until 3. Probably wise if you need to plan for childcare.

My Pre-op class was a different day just before surgery. Lame. They stuck me and another DSer in with RNY people. Sigh...happy when that was over! But I know others who have had one-on-one Pre-Op class when they have had to drive so far for Pre-Op Testing. I am sure they can arrange for that too if you mention it!

Finally, I had the biggest issue scheduling my surgery with Heather. Part of the problem was the holidays and it was when they moved their offices to that building from another. I ended up emailing and got immediate results! Try that! That phone msg thing drove me CRAZY!

Good luck! :) 

ThisIsMyUserName
on 8/23/11 1:43 pm, edited 8/23/11 1:49 pm

Thanks!!!

Ok, apparently the other sugeons office does things opposite of how Dr INman does them. That surgeon gives you a list of tests to have done and things to do  BEFORE they will schedule you for surgery or even submit for approval. This included stress test, ECG./EKG, Psych, NUT, Pulminary Clearance, Blood Work, Physical from PCP etc etc etc. I completed all this while going through that office and came to Dr. Inman with my surgery already approved (for the other surgeon). So far  I atteneded the information session On July 7th and stayed for the one on one with Dr. Inman, Then I worked with Shalonda to get the insurance approval transferred over to Dr. Inman, and now Im scheduled for what they call Pre Op testing. So thats where I am in the process..... but I haven't recieved any information about nutrition classes or pre op classes. Just a testing day. And my thing says my testing day will be from 730 till at least 1... it says my physical and medical history won't begin till one. Hmmm...maybe they are revamping how they do things? Or.... anyways thank you guys

Im sure you know how unnerving it can be just NOT knowing...what will happen when and how etc etc. So thank you!!!

ThisIsMyUserName
on 8/23/11 1:48 pm
Tried to PM you New Me....says you aren't found.
beemerbeeper
on 8/23/11 2:47 pm - AL
The easiest way to PM someone is to go to a post they've written and click on the "contact" button.  I think it took me a year to figure that out~ lol.  Hope that helps.

~Becky

Jeremy M.
on 8/23/11 11:29 pm - Fishers, IN
 Both my wife and I had our surgeries with Inman.  Granted, we didn't transfer surgeons after approval, but our paths were very similar to the ones described above.  If I had to guess, you will still have to do the pre-op nutrion class.  They do a special one for DSers once a month, but they may make an exception if you're traveling a long way.  It's usually scheduled for a full day, but both my wife and I were done by 1ish.  You will also likely have to do all of your testing again.  This is a St. Vincent requirement, not an Inman requirement.  They require all pre-op testing to be done within 30 days of your surgery to make sure they know what they're getting into.  Generally speaking, you get your surgery date scheduled first, and then they schedule all the other pre-op stuff around that.  Good luck and can't wait to see you on the losers bench!
Jeremy

HW 327 / SW 300 / CW 198 / GW 169

ThisIsMyUserName
on 8/24/11 5:47 am, edited 8/24/11 5:48 am
Thanks...

I don't know if they consider 3 hours long distance, but like I said, I have to leave four hours earlier to account for the time difference. See this is the type of information I was hoping to get from this post. So again, thanks so much, because now I know I should probably contact them to make some kinda arrangements to get a pre op class and testing done back to back...if possible.  I don't mind like, retesting etc. Its for my own good, so Im ok with it. I just need an idea of what to expect  and when so I can arrange everything. If need be I can stay overnight. It can all be worked out IF I know what I need to work out. Lol. So again, thanks you guys so much!! Thanks for the well wishes!!!