Dehydration?!

ShersJourney
on 8/23/11 2:23 am
What a ride... I haven't even had surgery yet and already I'm having to face this issue!!

The nurses called today; scared the hell out of me because I thought they might be cancelling surgery (I'm still quite leary) - but they were calling re: my labs... said I'm slightly dehydrated and to increase fluids.

Dehydrated?
I'm on a liquid diet!
If I increase fluids I'm going to float away!  I mean seriously, the only way I can see increasing fluids is by osmosis.

Sarcasm aside, I don't want to deal with dehydration AFTER surgery!  She said "slightly" dehydrated but we all know how that can snowball out of control; it's just that I seriously couldn't drink more if I tried and I haven't had caffeine in 2 weeks.

I'm going to google as soon as I can pull my head out of the last minute work that has been thrust upon me to make up for the time I might not be able to work after surgery... but does anyone have an idea of what's going on or what I should do, when I'm never without a beverage and lately it's been 2-3 at a time?  (soup, a CF Diet Coke, and sometimes a flat beverage for the purpose of Metamuciling).

2.more.days!! :)
Sherry

KarenFlorida
on 8/23/11 2:28 am - Orlando, FL
I'm not sure why you're dehydrated now, but I don't think it will be an issue immediately after surgery. While you are in the hospital, you will be getting a lot of IV fluids. The risky time starts after you are discharged from the hospital. You should be well hydrated at the time you are discharged. Good luck with your surgery!

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

Kayla B.
on 8/23/11 8:33 am - Austin, TX
For whatever reason, "non water" beverages just hydrate me less.  Even if they are caffeine free. Not to the point of needing IV fluids or anything, just...less hydrating.

I hate to suggest going cold turkey, as it is really quite difficult to do so, but that's usually what needs to happen.  It's like once you have a taste of the sweet beverage...it's hard to revert to drinking plain boring water for the rest of the day.  I usually allow myself one diet soda or one glass of diet juice or crystal light or something per day...but after that, I need my water.  Makes me feel a lot better.

I think it has something to do with the way my body processes the artificial sugars.  Because I'll be peeing like a racehorse...yet not adequately hydrated.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/23/11 8:44 am
Maybe give coconu****er a try if you're allowed to have it? It's got lots of eletrolytes. Zico is the best brand out there, the rest taste like stale ass.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

larra
on 8/24/11 1:33 am - bay area, CA
I showed up for surgery somewhat dehydrated from a bowel prep that went badly. It took 4 tries for the anesthesiologist to start the IV. The nurses didn't even try. But once they get that IV it, they pour in the fluids very generously. They will do the same for you.
     If this is the worst thing they could find in your labs, you're fine.

Larra
ShersJourney
on 8/24/11 1:42 am
I think you're right, plus she did emphasize "slightly" - I just found it odd considering the fluids I take in but I think Kayla B's right, I think it's not enough straight, boring water.

IT'S TOMORROW!!! :D
I have to be to the hospital at 5:30 am!

Sherry

larra
on 8/24/11 2:06 am - bay area, CA
Less than 24 hours to go! You'll make it!

Larra