Birth control before & after DS

carriemeaway
on 8/24/11 2:30 am - Spanaway, WA
I am using the NuvaRing and started it about 3 months post-op. I don't have to worry about it not being absorbed since it's not in pill form. I just set two timers a month on my phone, one to put in and one to take out and that's all I have to do. No pill to take daily and I love it.
HW     -   SW    -    CW     -  GW
361  357  237 

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/24/11 3:29 am
does the nuva ring shift around? How well does it stay in place during, umm, physical activities?

I'm on quadsense right now, looking to switch to something else just to be safe, and I'm debating between the nuva ring and mirena. Haven't had kids yet, but want to in 3-5 years.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

carriemeaway
on 8/24/11 3:48 am - Spanaway, WA
I haven't had any issues at all with it shifting at all. It stays in place all the time. Only time I've heard of it shifting or coming out was a friend of mine was dating a guy who had his guy pierced and it would pull out. So if that's not an issue you have to deal with then it should be fine
HW     -   SW    -    CW     -  GW
361  357  237 

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 4:18 am - Woodbridge, VA
My ring did pop out sometimes during intercourse (and, no, he's not pierced!). Not a huge deal, though - rinse and re-insert afterwards.
(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 4:15 am - Woodbridge, VA
I specifically needed HORMONAL birth control because I had ben on the pill since age 16 as a means of ovarian cyst prevention, not just to prevent pregnancy. I went with the NuvaRing.

I did not want an IUD because I'd never had children, and I knew we wanted to in the future, so I wanted something easy to stop when the time came. I've also heard horror stories of IUDs shifting/slipping with major weight loss because your body changes so drastically, which can be very painful and can cause additional issues, risks I was not willing to sign up for.

I did not want the Depo shot due to the risks already mentioned, plus it can take up to 18 MONTHS after stopping the shot to become fertile again, so not good for family planning purposes (assuming the "plan" is to have children in the future).

I had looked into the Implanon in the past because I was on progestin-only pills ("mini" pills) pre-op, and the Implanon is the same hormones, so it would have eliminated the need for the pill every day. However, same deal as IUD - I wanted something easy to stop when the time to TTC came around.

With the NuvaRing, I will say that it did come out more than once during intercourse. No biggie, though - just rinse off with lukewarm water and re-insert. Once it's in the right place, I never felt it at all. Some women can even use rings back-to-back without skipping a week (just like without doing the "placebo" week with pills) to skip periods; I did this more than once.

I removed my last NuvaRing in June with the goal of TTC starting in late July or so; many resources (including NuvaRing's own website) said it could take up to 6 weeks to become fertile again after removing the last ring. However, I ended up getting myself knocked up in the very first cycle after I took it out, and now I'm 9 weeks pregnant  :)   So, for me and our family "plan," NuvaRing worked out pretty well.
_Leslie_
on 8/24/11 5:56 am - Franklin, WI
Team NuvaRing!

I'm on my second month of the nuvaring and LOVING IT!

I will NEVER in my life do depo again!

And my physcian thinks it best I don't go with Mirena for a couple different reasons.

Nuva Ring is soo easy to put in... you can take it out in a snap (for up to 3 hours.. I once took it out during sex, I may not have inserted it correctly because when he would pu**** would hurt.... but since then, we've had sex with it in and no problem... I just really like the idea of giving me the choice to leave it in or take it out)

I was so reluctant to go with Nuva Ring,... scared how it would feel (I never feel it if its in correctly) or how it would be during sex.... No problems,... SO happy!

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

honeybadger 11
on 8/24/11 8:33 am - FL

Im on Nuvaring also.

It is easy to use but i will tell you it makes me a raving ***** for several weeks during the month. Ive been on it 3months and this month was better so hopefully some of that will taper off. I also get debilitating migraines when i remove the ring but i have solved this problem by inserting a new ring a day or two after (i do this to cut down on breakthrough bleeding) and the migraines haven't been as much of an issue.

Sex is no problem. you can take it out for up to 3hrs. just rinse it before you put it back in. Ive not taken mine out once and (TMI) even during rough play it has stayed in:)

Ive been so confused and change my mind daily as to what we will do for BC after the DS...i still have no idea! just as someone said earlier you must use a barrier method too due to rapid weight loss whacking out your estrogen levels.

GOOD LUCK!

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

butercup
on 8/24/11 10:07 am - Kennewick, WA
Implanon. Check it out. I have one and it's AWESOME! No weight gain and it goes in your arm for 3 years.