Have UThanked A Veteran Today?!?!?!

Nurse N.
on 8/22/11 7:42 am
Veteran is defined as someone whose served in the armed forces or an experienced person. This person is equipped with knowlede, lessons, and may have battled some unforseen cir****tances. That is exactly what the veterans on this board have been through. I understand their passion and enthusiam to educate anyone who wants to "listen" when it comes to this wonderful tool. Let me say I've heard and I've listened whole-heartedly. Since I made a decision to pursue WLS for the second time, I knew this time I wasn't going to take this decision lightly. After researching for many years after getting the crapband, I just so happened to be on the main boards and saw this WLS war taking place, between the RNY and the beloved DS. Let me just say the vets tore into these people something fierce when the people wanted to scream how great the RNY was or is. This drove me to want to know more, since these people weren't being paid by some DS fairy. Not meaning to make this post a long drawn out post, but I want to personally post a huge THANK YOU to all of the Vets that have paved the way, and even the newly post-ops who also post their experiences with this great tool. Your work, logging in daily, giving great advice, and screaming in all caps, has not gone in vain, and it still reaches many.

THANKS,

Nika

Lapband September 2007------>Revision to Duodenal Switch September 6, 2011

*A SETBACK IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A COMEBACK!

carebearsuzzan
on 8/22/11 8:13 am - CA

I know I'm so new on here, and already the vet ts on this site has helped me so much:) I am grateful for them already .. so Thank you for all your hours of dedication to all us newbies!!  you are so appreciated

ThisIsMyUserName
on 8/22/11 8:43 am, edited 8/22/11 8:45 am
I would also like to say thank you. I had lurked off and on and never really bothered to read in depth what the vets were saying. I basically looked at before and after pics and decided to go to a weight loss "seminar."  The seminar was given by a non DS surgeon.. My BMI is 55, rapidly approaching 56 and I was considering a lap-band. When it was my turn for a sit down with the surgeon he basically presented the three surgical options as if they were equal!!!! I mean yes, he gave a little presentation and yes he had his litlel chart and diagram showing HOW each surgery was done. But in terms of the end user or the end result, he presented each option as equal.  As if it was just a matter of perference. If you wanted minimally invasive, but with slower loss, choose a band. If you wanted quicker results but with a bit more risk, choose rny. The sleeve was presented as very drastic, but simply newer than the other two. He gave a passing mention of the DS but called it risky and outdated.  With a BMI of 55, or like 54. something he was willing to band me.... The killer was when I mentioned a pervious abdominal surgery, he expressed concern about being able to do the RNY. He said he wouldn't know for sure until he actually did the surgery but stated that I shouldn't worry. I would get some kind of surgery!!!!  As if they are all the same. As if it doesn't matter. As if whatever surgery he found himself able to perform would serve me well.

I came here and read other peoples postings and learned to run FAR from this man. I read, and read. Maybe its me, but it seems like a LOT of DS'ers are right around the 50-55 or 56BMI range so I was able to really learn a lot from the vets responding to their posts. If it werent for them, I would have had god knows what type of surgery because remember, this surgeon offered me "some kind of surgery." So yes, Thanks Vets...
Sarah F.
on 8/22/11 8:52 am
You can't be more right. Without this great wealth of information floating on the internet posted by all the vets, i would never feel the strenght to have the DS myself. Thank you everyone so much for posting your stories and knowledge. Its appreciated
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/22/11 8:54 am
*salutes the vets*

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

trxxyy
on 8/22/11 10:03 am - Orange County, CA
A big kiss and hugs from me to the Vets!  I don't post very often but that is because I almost always find the answer to my questions or problems by searching (google advanced search if my friend) this forum. 

-shelly
rubytica
on 8/22/11 11:23 am - GA
 Thank you VETS for all the valuable information and for worrying so much of us newbies. I truly appreciate every advise I get from this forum.  I am so lucky to be here.

Thanks
Ruby
* Gail R *
on 8/22/11 12:28 pm - SF Bay Area, CA
Yes, in fact, I have thanked a vet today. And I will continue thanking them for the rest of my life-a life they saved with their "surgery wars" and their valuable advice. Thank you Diana and Larra and all the others that educated me and got me to the point that I know I have a long future to plan for.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164