Calcium and Full Feeling

DivaJojo
on 8/22/11 4:48 am - Atlanta, GA
Hello All;

Hope you're doing well.  Just wanted to chime in with updates (and maybe some TMI) and a question.  First the updates:  I'm coming along, getting used to the Coumadin.  Last monthly cycle was extremely light as normal, but had only been on coumadin for a few days.  We'll see what happens next month.

Pain did finally start in my leg the day after being released from the hospital.  It was pretty bad and I had to stay on pain medicine for about a week, but haven't had to take anything since last Wednesday.  Still swells a little bit, but has been no more than 10-15% compared to the other leg.  I'm hopeful that, plus the short duration of pain, means the damage to the veins is not too serious.  Currently walking for exercise, doing my normal routine, taking two turns around my work floor after every hour of sitting and elevating the leg when resting at home.  Shortness of breath is all but gone, in fact, I had to sing three songs at church day before yesterday (forgot I had agreed weeks ago to sing and showed up at church with my name in the bulletin).  God gave me my breath back, how can I not sing His praises!!?  But, I'm still being cautious to not overdo it, but still live my life.  I'm kind of feeling my way at the moment.

Fissure is healing nicely, I think.  Have had no pain since about mid-July, but it's my understanding that it can take 2-4 months for complete healing.  I'm still being really careful to keep my stools very soft, especially now with the coumadin - don't want to risk any spotting or irritation.  I'll give it another month before I go back to my colo-rectal doc for follow up and discussion about scheduling my five-year colonoscopy.  I do initially use tissue lightly, but primarily use Pampers sensitive baby wipes, some of which I saturate with witch hazel (same thing that it's Tucks pads).  One thing I started doing was mixing a little bit of triple anti-biotic ointment with pure vitamin E and inserting with a q-tip to help promote healing.  No concrete data, but I've had no adverse affects and I think it has helped.

Potassium is much better and stable.  It's staying in the mid 4 range (4.3 - 4.6) with the 20mEq daily.  So, that's good.  I am taking my supplements, but will admit to being gun-shy about the calcium.  I've started taking Bone-Up which is a calcium hypoxylate.  Several have said they do not experience the same constipation with the hypoxylate.  I will admit that I've only gotten up to about 1/2 of dosage I want to take because I'm really afraid of the constipation and there is a definite difference to my stools.  I'm gradually increasing so my body can adapt and I can adjust my food, stool softeners, etc. as I increase.  I think part of the problem is I was too gung-ho back in June and did everything 200% and my body was like "whoa, buddy!!"  I'm going step by step and adjusting as I learn and see how my body reacts.  I have my next labs drawn in about three weeks (didn't expect this 3 months to be so "fun-filled.")

That's all I can think of at the moment, so now on to my question.  I have noticed that after about my second or third dose of calcium, I have a bloated feeling, regardless of what I eat, not quite the same as overeating fullness, but definitely noticeable.  Does anyone else experience this, is it normal?  I'm guessing that since calcium is so constipating (considering the amount that is expelled compared to what we absorb) that it will create a fuller feeling, but just wanted to check with you guys.

Thanks so much.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

teachmid
on 8/22/11 7:04 am - OKC, OK
I'm so glad you're finally on the road to recovery . Sorry, can't address your calcium issue.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

J G.
on 8/22/11 3:57 pm
Glad to hear you are doing better on several fronts (errr, ah, on of those would be a rear.  )

What calcium are your taking?
DivaJojo
on 8/23/11 3:00 am - Atlanta, GA
Currently trying  Bone Up, which is a calcium hypoxylate (SP?).  I've been told by several people that they haven't experienced the constipation issues (at least to the same extent) as with citrate.

J G.
on 8/23/11 5:02 am
Gotcha, I am worried about you being on 1/2 your needed amount of calcium.  How long has that been?  Have you tried Miralax, mag oxide, stool softeners, extra fat, and extra water?
DivaJojo
on 8/23/11 5:33 am - Atlanta, GA
That's been for about 3-4 weeks now.  I started with one capsule and increased from there.  Just being extra cautious while the fissure is healing (especially with the complication of being on the Coumadin - I don't want to risk a re-opening of this fissure).  So, I'm just being careful and building gradually.

DivaJojo
on 8/23/11 5:34 am - Atlanta, GA
Yes, I'm experimenting with miralax, stool softeners, fat, etc.  But, it's trial and error as you find what works for you, so I'm being patient.

J G.
on 8/23/11 5:56 am, edited 8/23/11 5:57 am
Good girl, I'm glad you are working on it. After a while, post and let us know if you found the Bone Up to be non-constipating.