Hurricane Irene

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 9:42 pm
Those of you DS'ers along the coast best get ready...she looks like a ***** wanting payback. I've already refilled my prescriptions, got my protein powders and essentials at the ready. We'll ride it out if landfall is a Cat 3, but Cat 4 and up, we are outta here. I'm in Swansboro, the western side of Carteret County about 1.5 hours north of Wilmington. Hope ya'll stay safe and don't forget to pack up your vitamins, meds, proteins, etc. to hold you through at least a week.
girlygirl1313
on 8/22/11 9:52 pm, edited 8/22/11 9:53 pm - Davidson, NC
 Holy smokes I was eating over at the Ice House a few weeks ago, didn't know you lived in that gorgeous town!   I have family scurrying in Charleston and family scurrying in Emerald Isle.  Keeping my own nose glued to NOAA.  Even though I'm inland they have a tendency to still be tropical strength by the time they reach me IF they fall between Charleston and Myrtle Beach.
 Keep safe, sounds like you've got a good plan.
~GG

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 9:54 pm
Holy ****! I used to work in the office of the Ice House when it first opened six years ago!  Next time you're in the neighborhood let me know-would love to hook up. Hope your family stays safe...this one looks bad.
southernlady5464
on 8/22/11 11:31 pm
GG, you're right that almost all are a TS by the time they get that far inland but even at TS strength they can do serious damage... Hugo continued inland, and weakened to a Category 1 hurricane as the cloudy eye passed over Charlotte, North Carolina. Hugo continued on the weakening trend weakened to a tropical storm later on the same day.  Hugo reached the city of Charlotte only six hours after landfall, which is roughly 200 mi (320 km) inland   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Hugo

That's why I said don't spot for at least 200 miles inland.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 11:01 pm
We are in Surf City, just north of Wilmington and I'm pre-op but we're getting ready.  Been watching this one closely.

Thanks for the reminder about protein powder and stocking up.  While I don't need it right now, that's a good point to remember for the future.  You never know how these things will hit. 

Scary watching the reports!

Generic User_Name
on 8/22/11 11:05 pm
 We (southernlady5464 and I) used to live in Leland, NC which is a suburb of Wilmington, NC.  We have already executed our emergency plan and moved away from the coast.  

Please keep an eye out at the weather in the coming days.

southernlady5464
on 8/22/11 11:10 pm
As my husband mentioned (cbramsey5898) mentioned...we USE to live in Leland, NC about 5 mins from Wilmington and 20 mins from the coastline...we move to the eastern part of TN two years ago...

The path of Irene looks eerily similar to Hugo in 1989 which slammed both SC & NC and even leveled areas of Charlotte, NC. If Irene proves as bad, y'all get the HELL OUT of there and don't stop til you get at least 200 miles out of the area.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

girlygirl1313
on 8/22/11 11:37 pm - Davidson, NC
 HUGO! ugh, who will ever forget that atrocity :(  I was up near Charlotte and it was STILL a cat 1 over 150 miles INLAND!  Since most of my family was from Chas we were some of the first people let back into the city..... I will NEVER forget.  Almost every southern book I've read lately makes mention of Hugo.

I'm sure you and hubby have noticed that the gulf hurricanes still eat up TN and the NC mountains at times.

Everybody be safe!

southernlady5464
on 8/22/11 11:51 pm
Yeah, they may get here but the mountains themselves tend to break up things so they aren't as bad...We just make sure our house is on the slope of a mountain and not in the valley itself. We want our diveway to be level or go uphill not downhill.

I was in the Brevard area when Hugo hit...and it was a bad storm there but nothing like what hit closer to the coast. My daddy lived in Greenville, SC at the time and his area wa**** hard with lots of damage to trees. He's now slightly further north of that.

But being safe is paramount, and being prepared.

Liz

Julie R.
on 8/22/11 11:21 pm, edited 8/22/11 11:21 pm - Ludington, MI
 Godspeed, Eileen and all Atlantic coasties....

Figured....this hurricane is my mom's middle name, LOL.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125