Update (Pre-Op Process, Insurance, Etc)

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 1:11 pm
DS on 02/01/12
I haven't posted in a while so I figured I'd do a short update.

Most of you probably know by now that I switched surgeons from Barker to Stewart. I had my first appt scheduled with Dr. Stewart almost 2 weeks ago and was unable to make it due to never ending traffic + car trouble. I called Dr. Stewart's office and they kindly understood and rescheduled me for later this month on August 30th, the day before my health insurance "expires."

My husband was laid off at the beginning of August. Our insurance benefits last through August, and then we will have to pick up COBRA in September in order to keep our healthcare. Hubs originally had another job lined up but it fell through so he is back to working as a freelance contractor from home. Today we opened a letter we received from the COBRA guys and found out, in order to keep our benefits, it is going to cost $1300 a month for the 3 of us. Holy flippin crap! I'm doing what I can to not be discouraged about this, but I really don't see how we're going to be able to afford it. Hubs says to keep an optimistic attitude about it so I'm doing what I can to see things from the "glass is half full" perspective. After all, he is a brilliant man and his line of work (web program/developer/software engineer/geek by nature) allows telecommutes and as many side projects as he is capable of handling. I'm hoping it all works out. We have until October 30th to make a decision on the COBRA, but if we don't make a decision soon, the cost is going to continue to go higher. From what I understand, if we make the decision to get COBRA, say, in October, then we will owe for October and September ($2600), though I could be wrong about that, as COBRA is all Greek to me.

Today it hit me that this month will make 3 months of pre-op supervised diet visits. I'm halfway there. I would be lying if I said that I'm not scared. I will admit that I'm terrified of surgery and not making it through, but I'm even more scared of what will happen if I don't go through with the DS. I'm 24 years old, have obstructive sleep apnea, hypertension, and I weigh 366 lbs. Things can only go downhill from here if I don't make some changes fast. Every attempt at losing weight has done nothing but lead me to failure, and I always end up weighing more than I did before I started *insert name of diet here.* I have faith that I will be ok, that my family will be ok, and that this will improve the quality of all of our lives. I know nothing is guaranteed, but I feel confident in having Dr. Stewart as my surgeon. I feel very at peace with it. Sleep study & psych evaluation done, EGD and EKG/stress test to go!
Sher Bear Mama
on 8/22/11 3:37 pm

I feel for you Erika.  All the crap you're going through right now will be all worth it once you get to your goal.  You're almost there!

Sher-

Sher--the bear mama

Sarah F.
on 8/23/11 2:34 am
you might be able to get private insurance cheaper. My father in law is an insurance sales men for Farmers but he also does sales for blue cross only in California. You might be able to call around or look on the website to get a price. I've heard in California its like $700 for a family (i just remember it being cheaper then cobra)