Update - New patient partner support

teachmid
on 8/22/11 9:26 am - OKC, OK
Everyone's different. My surgeon had me supplement my narcotic pain medicine with Ibuprofen syrup starting about 10 days out.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Julie R.
on 8/22/11 9:28 am - Ludington, MI
Your partner is lucky to have you!
I think Dr. L performs his DS's open, correct?   It's pretty understandable that she might be in more pain than someone who has had a lap DS.    My doctors sent me home with both Lortab (liquid vicodin) and Trammadol, to be crushed.    I remember that I alternated the two.    This worked quite effectively, and I only needed this combination for a day or two.   Even though the motrin prescription makes a lot of sense for its anti-inflammatory properties, I'm also going to advise that it not be taken at this time.     Her stomach is too new.   Dina McBride, a DS'er here who almost died from NSAID overuse, could probably attest to that.     At five years out, I will take Naproxen or Ibuprofen sparingly, but I would not have taken it at a week out.

She will likely need more vitamins, and I also recommend taking a look at Vitalady's schedule, but most of us don't need quite that much right out of the starting blocks.  It's important though to monitor labs VERY closely and adjust dosages according to them.    How much Vitamin D, calcium and A is Dr. L prescribing?

You are correct in your assertion that she MUST stay hydrated.    Anything that works at this time.  Warm fluids were more tolerated than cold, for me, with peppermint tea being at the top of my list.   Broth, too, helped.    Truly, you can worry about the protein next week.   For now, just push those fluids.   Once you get into the dehydration tailspin, it's tough to pull yourself out of it.

One aspect that is often overlooked, is even if she is uncomfortable, keep her up and moving.   The body is meant to move, and it aids in healing.  She'll feel better sooner if she does.   Trust me on this one.  You don't need to have her out at the track running the mile, but have her walk laps around the house, or even up and down in front of the house, and at least ten minutes out of every hour.   It's beautiful cool weather here in Michigan, and the sunshine and low humidity will do wonders for her disposition.

Good luck!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

eduller
on 8/23/11 4:11 am
Yes, she had an open DS. She's actually doing better today. We got her switched from 15ml of liquid vicodin to 30ml in pill form, and that seems to be working much better. I have only managed to get about 20 oz of liquids in her so far today. I think she's getting tired of hearing me say "sip sip sip."

Dr. L has her on 1200IU of vitamin D, 30,000 of vitamin A, and 1500mg of calcium. But I am actually giving her quite a bit more of all of those on the advice of a friend who had a similar procedure a year ago.

She is being very good about getting up and moving. She has been doing a lot of laps around the house, and she was actually up and walking in the hospital about 5 hours after her surgery. I'm so proud of her! Now I just need to do my part to make sure she's getting the hydration and nutrition she needs. She's not so good with that part of it, so I'm trying to do all my research to get her what she needs.
MizCharlotte
on 8/22/11 9:45 am - Spring, TX
Yes, hats off to you for doing such a good job of taking care of your partner!

Does she know how lucky she is?
Lori F.
on 8/23/11 5:04 am - Chula Vista, CA
Damn- can you come over to my house when I get switched? My hubby is NOT going to be like you are. Your partner is luckky to have you!!!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49