Tinabean
on 8/20/11 2:54 am - MN
Hello and Happy Saturday!!

I have a few questions about the DS and would appreciate any guidance you have. 

I read on a recent post that bowel obstruction is a possibility with any abdominal surgery. If an individual has a bowel obstruction, how long is the healing process after the adhesions are removed?  It appears that with regular labs and being vigilent with supplements, it is possible to keep vitamin and mineral levels where they need to be. Is this true, or am I missing something? On a different note, the task list I was given indicated that I need to get my medical records from the past two years and these should include 2 weight documentations each year. Happily, I have only had to see my PCP once a year for my annual labs. Will having only one weight documented each year affect approval?  I have Medica (MCHA) insurance.

BTW, here is some background:  I had an open RNY in 2003. I lost 125 pounds (was still 35 lbs above goal) and I have since gained back 105 lbs.  As is the case with most RNYers that have gained much of their weight back, I have felt like a failure. In a last ditch effort to give diet and exercise my all, I signed up for an extreme bodyshaping class at the beginning of summer. On the day of orientation we had to complete a 1 mile run. I started out running, but at 300 lbs, that was a struggle. My shins tightened up and I developed severe shin pain. It was almost like I temporarily had drop foot. One of the program volunteers walked with me and kept encouraging me to keep walking and to walk faster.  She said several times that if I would run I would be using different muscles and my shins wouldn't hurt so much. With 5 feet left until the finish line and with everyone that finished before me waiting at the finish line cheering for me, I decided to run. Well, I tripped and broke my foot.   And when I do something, I do it right--the break is a Jones Fracture which takes a looong time to heal and has an increased chance of rebreak. I decided the broken foot was a sign from god that I needed to find something beyond traditional diet and exercise to help me lose my excess weight. So here I am.

I had a consultation with Dr. Ikramuddin on Thursday. He suggested 6 months of documented diet and behavior change then a revision to DS performed open. YAY!!   I had been lurking on this site so I was hoping he would suggest a DS without me having to do a lot of pushing.

Now that the process has begun, I am begging to feel a little nervous, but I know that this nervousness is what pushes us to research thoroughly and to seek guidance.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Tina
teachmid
on 8/20/11 3:30 am - OKC, OK
Welcome. You've come to the right place. I had a revision from a RNY to a DS 8 months ago.

This is very complex surgery, more than a virgin DS, and there are only a handful of surgeons in the country who do them: Drs Rabkin, Keshishian, Roslin, Gagner and Greenbaum.

Much of the time the weight documentation, etc are an Insurance requirement.

I would refer you to DSFacts.com as a good starting place.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/20/11 4:44 am
Welcome! I am also preop though I'm a virgin in the weight loss surgery arena.  You really did come to the right place here on OH.  The veterans here on the board know what they're talking about.  They'll give it to you straight and if you ask a stupid question, expect a stupid answer.  That being said, just remember that everyone here is just trying to help so take all the advice and information you can get. I've found it really helpful in making my decision to have the DS. 

I'm impressed that your doctor recommended the DS.  I wish more doctor's knew about it.  Every time I mention it to a medical professional they do one of two things: a) they look at me like I just spoke Greek to them because they've never heard of the surgery, or b) they tell me I'm crazy for wanting such a drastic surgery--though again, I think that means they don't know ANYTHING about the DS.  So congratulations on getting a doctor who knows his stuff!

Hope to see more of you on the DS board!

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

no_more_rolls
on 8/20/11 5:20 am - Jackson, MI
Welcome Tinabean! 

You have come to the right place!  I learned so much about the DS here and continue to do so.  Most people are willing to help you any way they can.  The best advice I can give is read, read, read these boards and ask any questions you think of that you can not find an answer to.  Oh and be sure to check out the revision boards too.  

I was a virgin DS, but I had a lot of adhesions from multiple abdominal surgeries non-WLS related.  My recovery was pretty uneventful, with the exception of a long term thrush infection that caused nausea and vomiting.  I guess I'm like you and do it right (NOT) when it comes to things like that.    

Don't worry, you are not alone.  We are all here with one common goal...WLS.  Before you know it you will be posting you're nervous and your surgery date is set!  It really does seem to happen fast when the day is near.

~Roxy

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Tinabean
on 8/20/11 5:27 am - MN
@Gail - Thank you for the reply! Wow--it looks like you are doing great at 8 months out! Did you find your recovery from the revision to be similar to your recovery from the RNY?

@Sheri - Thanks for the welcome! I read your profile - my experience is very similar, down to the PCOS and intermittent high blood pressure. I scheduled the consult with Dr. I due to him being on the vetted surgeons list and due to his experience with revisions. It is amazing that so many people in the medical community have little to no true knowledge of the DS. I found that to somewhat be the case when I had the RNY in 2003. I remember the surgeon telling me that RNY results in a high incidence of lactose intolerance and I remember the dietician pushing milk - The discrepancies between the team were common and scary. I came to OH and I utilized information from Vitalady. These resources were life savers. It feels good to know that I can turn to these resources again.
Tinabean
on 8/20/11 5:33 am - MN
Hi Roxy,

Thanks for the welcome!

Ugh...a long term thrush infection? That sounds miserable! How does the new anatomy affect the absorption of antibiotics when fighting such an infection? We have to stop doing the wrong things so well!!
no_more_rolls
on 8/20/11 7:14 am, edited 8/20/11 7:15 am - Jackson, MI
You're welcome for the welcome!

Lol I agree we must stop ;)  Actually the thrush infection was most likely caused by antibiotics given to me when I had surgery. The thrush developed just because I was given antibiotics I was sensitive to, not because of the surgery I had.  I developed it 1 day post-op from the DS.  I was treated in the hospital for it before I was initially discharged.  About a week later, I noticed my tongue bled when I brushed my teeth...so it never went away while I was in the hospital.  I was given prescription to treat it at home.  The thrush got worse, so my doctor increased the dosage.  I finished all the medication, and a few days later it returned, so I had to get another prescription.  It has been treated with diflucan and nystatin rinse...which are used to treat yeast unlike a traditional antibiotic kills everything including the good bacteria.  If I had the good bacteria the (thrush) oral yeast would not have gotten out of hand.

I recently expressed concern about the absorption of some of my meds with my surgeon's office.  It was explained to me that most medications are absorbed normally unless they are time released (because digestion occurs sooner for some that have the DS) or if the medications are in a fat/gel based form (because the body does will only absorb 70 to 80% of fats).  In either case let your doctor and/or pharmacist know so medication can be in a liquid, dry, or tablet form or perhaps an alternative medication can be prescribed.  

I hope your foot heals soon...and without any more mishaps 
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

teachmid
on 8/20/11 5:36 am - OKC, OK
The recovery was tough for me, but my RNY was done on 1989. I'm a lot older and my health wasn't as good, so I feel that those were contributing factors. That being said, I traveled to California for my surgery and went back to work at 5 weeks. I have had no significant complications except some food intolerances which are improving.

With revisions, the weight loss is slower, and that has been a frustration for me, but I'm doing well and definitely not starving or dieting.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Twyla S.
on 8/20/11 8:51 am - Chattanooga, TN
 Newbie here too, cannot give you any advice or words of wisdom, because I'm learning and reading myself....I'll leave that to the others.  Good luck on your revision and welcome....
larra
on 8/20/11 9:09 am - bay area, CA
Welcome!
    regarding adhesions, I don't think there is just one answer to post-op healing. First, it's true that you can get adhesions, and potentially a small bowel obstruction, after any abdominal surgery, but with either RNY or DS there is also the potential for internal hernias. The overall risk of bowel obstruction sometime in your lifetime after either operation is 5%. Recovery will depend on whether or not any of the bowel needs to be removed (shouldn't be necessary if care is provided promptly enough) and extent of adhesions.
    Vitamins - more than with RNY, but same situation with either - you can almost always stay out of trouble if you take them faithfully and adjust as needed according to your labs.

Insurance - whether or not you need 2 weights recorded each your depends on your policy. There are so many different rules out there that you will need to read your policy yourself. Don't rely on what some insurance company flunkie tells you over the phone, read it yourself.

Good luck!

Larra