Egg roll wrappers = DELICIOUS cheesesticks!

Jolly Rancher
on 8/21/11 5:42 am
Warning - NOT low carb!

I'm sure I'm not the first person to stumble across this! I'm a huge cheese stick lover. You know, the kind you get for an appetizer. My absolutely favorites are the pepper jack cheese wedges from O'Charleys.

I've bought different brands in the store, trying to find the perfect one, and they just never taste the same, no matter how I prepare them. So, I got a hankering today for some, and it's grocery day, so I thought I would surf the web a bit. I ran across this most simplistic, delicious way to have cheese sticks at home!

Pick your favorite block, shredded or sting cheese. I used the new 3oz blocks that Kraft has put on the market. I bought one cheddar and one pepper jack. I cut the blocks in half, and then halved again, so 8 little stick total. You could use your favorite string cheese and just cut each stick in half. Put the cheese at one corner of the wrapper and roll up half way. Fold in the sides of the wrapper and continue rolling. Dab a tiny bit of water on your finger, wet the edges, and finish rolling to seal.

Heat your oil and drop in. Takes less than 5 minutes to crunchy, melty cheesy goodness!!!

The stats on the wrappers I used is 35 carbs and 7 grams of protein for THREE. I had 6 total. The protein in the cheese was 39 grams total.

This definitely should not be an every day meal, but to satisfy a craving when you don't want to eat out, it's perfect!

Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
NoreenRT
on 8/21/11 7:05 am - Warner Robins, GA
bookmarked.    thx. 

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

trxxyy
on 8/21/11 1:38 pm - Orange County, CA
On August 21, 2011 at 12:42 PM Pacific Time, Jolly Rancher wrote:
Warning - NOT low carb!

I'm sure I'm not the first person to stumble across this! I'm a huge cheese stick lover. You know, the kind you get for an appetizer. My absolutely favorites are the pepper jack cheese wedges from O'Charleys.

I've bought different brands in the store, trying to find the perfect one, and they just never taste the same, no matter how I prepare them. So, I got a hankering today for some, and it's grocery day, so I thought I would surf the web a bit. I ran across this most simplistic, delicious way to have cheese sticks at home!

Pick your favorite block, shredded or sting cheese. I used the new 3oz blocks that Kraft has put on the market. I bought one cheddar and one pepper jack. I cut the blocks in half, and then halved again, so 8 little stick total. You could use your favorite string cheese and just cut each stick in half. Put the cheese at one corner of the wrapper and roll up half way. Fold in the sides of the wrapper and continue rolling. Dab a tiny bit of water on your finger, wet the edges, and finish rolling to seal.

Heat your oil and drop in. Takes less than 5 minutes to crunchy, melty cheesy goodness!!!

The stats on the wrappers I used is 35 carbs and 7 grams of protein for THREE. I had 6 total. The protein in the cheese was 39 grams total.

This definitely should not be an every day meal, but to satisfy a craving when you don't want to eat out, it's perfect!

I used to tend bar in a restaurant that served texas style egg rolls.  Egg roll wrapper filled with jack cheese and roasted anaheim chilis and then deep fried.  Super Yummy!
Jolly Rancher
on 8/21/11 5:13 pm
Nom, nom, nom! I've never seen these in a restaurant, but that sounds delish. After the cheese stick idea, I was thinking up several things I could make with them. I think I will try making something along the lines of a chimichanga with them next. Or perhaps some kind of chicken roll up. I was surprised at how delicious they were.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/21/11 1:53 pm
I love this idea, and happen to have a bunch of the wrappers in my freezer for egg rolls and spring rolls.

I have herbs growing bonkers in the garden right now, so I want to try this with a sprig of green onion or herbs in with the cheese - Oh yum!
Jolly Rancher
on 8/21/11 5:14 pm
Onions!!!! YUM!!!! Let me know how that turns out!!!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Opp2mystic1
on 8/21/11 2:00 pm, edited 8/21/11 2:00 pm - Hokes Bluff, AL
I am so trying this, I am going to make mini as I have a boatload of wonton wrappers, I bought them for crab rangoon, but only need twelve. 

great idea!

Kym

mypictr_YouTube.jpg before/after avatar picture by Opp2mystic1          At goal for 4 years!

Jolly Rancher
on 8/21/11 5:15 pm
I thought about the wonton wrappers after the fact also. They may be even easier to make because you shouldn't have to risk tearing them by rolling up. Simply fold over and seal!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW