4 months out and dehydrated?

trxxyy
on 8/20/11 6:36 am - Orange County, CA
On Thursday I ended up in Urgent Care due to a possible kidney stone.  I started having back pain (flank) and lower abdominal pain on the left hand side Wednesday night. I also noticed blood in my urine  The pain wasn't out of control but enough that I had to sit down and catch my breath a couple of times.  Aside from this I have had no other symptoms. I called Dr. K first thing on Thursday morning and he said that it sounded like a kidney stone and not a bowel obstruction so I went to urgent care.

While at urgent care I gave them a urine sample and they did a quick strip test and the doctor indicated that I was dehydrated and asked me if I was diabetic.  I was not diabetic pre-op but my blood glucose was on the high sid but now my three month labs indicated that my blood glucose was 81 so a big improvement to my pre-op numbers.  I thought it was an odd question for the doctor to ask. 

The doctor ended up sending me for an x-ray and the results showed no kidney stones so I was treated for a UTI with a prescription for Cipro.  Trying to fit the Cipro into my daily med/vitamin regime is a whole other issue but I have been taken the prescribed dosage since Thursday.  I have been pushing my water intake since I was slacking off the last couple of weeks but what still concerns me is that my urine is still really dark.  I don't notice any blood like before but the color is definitely not normal.  

I have read about new post-ops getting dehydrated but I didn't think I was in danger being this far out. I was just wondering if anyone else here has had a similar experience or can offer an advice. 

-shelly
Elizabeth N.
on 8/20/11 7:12 am - Burlington County, NJ
You will ALWAYS be in greater danger of dehydration than a non op due to having a shorter gut. Fluids have less space in which to get absorbed, just like everything else we take in. How much are you drinking? Whatever you're drinking, aim to at least double it.

No, asking about diabetes is a completely normal question to be asked at urgent care for almost anyone, but especially someone with dehydration, a kidney complaint and obesity. Chances are they ask everyone about diabetes,t hough, because it is so common.

It should not be difficult to take the Cipro. Just take it separately from your iron. Don't make it more complicated than necessary.

trxxyy
on 8/21/11 1:12 pm - Orange County, CA
Thank you for the advice, Elizabeth.  I was really slacking on my water and I think combined with protein coffee and a daily diet soda/ice tea (lots of ice that melts down) I probably was getting about 50 oz of fluids.  I have now doubled and tripled that amount, almost all water.

I am also happy to hear that I should not be sweating when I take the Cipro.  I make sure and take it a few hours before my morning iron so I was stressing more about the evening dose but not anymore.

Elizabeth N.
on 8/21/11 1:22 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Yikes, I would have long since been admitted for all kinds of problems if I only drank that much :-O.
Just for your own thinking, it could be useful to think of yourself as "malabsorbing" water/fluids. Shorter gut = less space to utilize the stuff. Think about that when you're looking at those oodles of fluids.

teachmid
on 8/20/11 7:39 am - OKC, OK
I'm sorry you've had these problems. Keep taking your antibiotics. If your urine is dark, you are dehydrated and need to drink more.....no matter how much you're drinking now.

Hope you get to feeling better.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

trxxyy
on 8/21/11 1:14 pm - Orange County, CA
Thanks for the well wishes and I am feeling much better.  Drowning myself with water is really helping.

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/20/11 9:29 am
Shelly!!! I'm so sorry you're going through this!  I can't imagine how frightening it must be when you have that kind of pain.  Try and keep hydrated and rest as much as you can.  PLEASE keep us posted on your progress--how you're feeling and if you get any new diagnosis.

Hugs,

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

trxxyy
on 8/21/11 1:17 pm - Orange County, CA
Hi Sheri!

I am feeling much better and no pain!  I have been drinking an obscene amount of water and of course that has made all the difference in the world.  Lesson learned.

How are your "no" Options classes going?  I am still trying to wrap my head around this requirement since the class does not educate you regarding the DS and DS requirements.  Too bad there isn't a way to bill them for your wasted time taking their pointless class.

-shelly
Sher Bear Mama
on 8/21/11 1:32 pm
Hi Shell!!!!  I'm so glad you're feeling better.  I'm going to try and remember this lesson you learned about keeping hydrated.  I was really worried but I'm glad that you're doing so much better.

Still taking the "no Options" class.  It sucks.  We had a Sleeve patiend 7 mo out from his surgery lecture us on Friday. A SERIOUS know-it-all and he didn't even know anything about the RNY!  So it wasn't only a waste of time for me, but it was also a waste of time for those who are getting the RNY.  I was really dissapointed that the misinformation he was passing around didn't get corrected by the teacher.  She just let it pass (or she didn't know herself what was true and what wasn't true).  So, I'm plodding along until the DMHC decides and then depending, I'll have to take several more weeks of classes until surgery this winter.  It'll come when it comes--I'm in no hurry, but I wish I didn't have to take the classes.  We'll see.

Keep me posted on your health! Send pictures! I bet you're looking amazing!

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

Samaro ..
on 8/20/11 10:43 am
We will always have to be on guard to avoid dehydration.  Even at 4 1/2 years out I drink around 120 ounces of fluid each day.  Your urine should be a pale yellow color when you are adequately hydrated.  Even though we have had a fairly moderate summer here, it's still been warm enough to need extra hydration.  Sounds like it's time for you to up your intake girl friend.

When it comes to trying to time your antibiotics along with all of the vitamins you are taking your first priority right now needs to be the antibiotic.  If you have to skip a vitamin dose it won't hurt you for the few days that you are taking the Cipro.  Get your infection cleared up and then get your vitamins back on track if that's what you need to do.

Hope you feel better soon.  If I can help, let me know.  I'm just up the road.  :)