Check out this article; Proof of the importance of the pyloric valve

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 4:11 pm, edited 8/19/11 4:54 pm
 I was doing some research on RNY and hypoglycemia and came across this article.

Basically it tells of a case of one (RNY) patient who entered the hospital due to an intestinal blockage, had a feeding tube placed in her old stomach, and found that her problems with hypoglycemia were resolved because of the feeding tube. 

The article postulates that nutrients pass through far too quickly in gastric bypass surgery patients, and that's the cause of hypoglycemia.  That removing all or part of the pancreas is not the answer to the low blood sugar problems many of us RNYers have, but that simply having a functioning pyloric valve is what's needed.

Here's the article:

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/95/4/1851.long#sec-2

Lynda

Edit: I changed the title of my post, hoping I could get more people would read this article. 

larra
on 8/20/11 12:07 am - bay area, CA
Thank you for posting this.
     And sadly, surgeons will go right on doing RNY because, it's the "gold standard", don't ya know.

Larra
beemerbeeper
on 8/20/11 12:14 am - AL
Please cross post to the main board!!  Very needed information!!

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/11 12:39 am
Excellent article and very interesting. Thank you for sharing. It certainly makes sense.

Just a note if anyone is thinking of using this for an insurance appeal, while it can be utilized in support with other studies, this won't fly alone. It has an N:1 (meaning there is only one patient in the study) and no control arm..

HOWEVER, it is an excellent study and just supports all the other data out there.