New Here

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 2:32 pm
Just wanted to introduce myself to all of you beautiful people here. My name is Jade. I'm currently starting my WLS journey. I have a seminar scheduled next week and I must admit I'm very nervous. At first I opted for VSG unfortunately as luck would have it my insurance will not cover it. So I did my research and I feel DS is a better option for me. I've read to many horror stories about the RNY and i think i'd rather gain another 100 pounds than get that. (jk) anyhow i don't wanna bore everyone. Just wanted to let my presence be known and say hello :) If anyone would like to talk, offer advice, or just become friends and help me through this process i'd love that. Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. Take care :)
KimberlyHeidi
on 8/19/11 2:33 pm - VA
 Welcome!
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 2:36 pm
Thank You :)
beemerbeeper
on 8/19/11 2:55 pm - AL
Welcome!!

Lesson one for all new folks:

There are very few DS surgeons.  Lots of bariatric surgeons will advertise that they do the DS when in fact they don't.  So they will try to tell you why you should have the surgery they CAN do and why the DS is not a good choice.  You can't take advice about the DS from a surgeon who doesn't DO the DS.

I never heard of your surgeon, so I suspect that he doesn't do the DS.  There are so few DS surgeons that we pretty much know of all of them here on this forum.

Why are there so few?  Because it is a technically difficult surgery that can't be learned in a weekend seminar.  Because it takes longer but insurance reimbursement is the same as for the RnY.  Because previous "versions" of the DS had bad outcomes and uneducated surgeons think the current DS has those same bad outcomes.  Because stupid people can kill themselves faster with a DS than they can with an RnY if they don't supplement properly. 

So you won't find a DS surgeon at every bariatric practice.  Most of us had to travel to get our DS so we can help you with those logistics.

And finally you do not want to use an inexperienced surgeon.  This is a complex surgery that requires a great deal of skill.  You only want to use an experienced surgeon such as the ones you can find here:  www.DSFacts.com

Where do you live?

Hope this was helpful.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 3:02 pm
This was very helpful and I thank you for taking the time to educate me on this matter. I took another look at the surgeon i have listed here and he doesn't perform it. So I'm looking into other surgeons. Traveling wouldn't be a problem for me as long as it is within this state (Louisiana) IF possible. Again thank you for the information and I will keep this in mind and keep researching :)
beemerbeeper
on 8/19/11 3:06 pm - AL
There is no DS surgeon in Louisiana.  

How far are you from Denton Texas?

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 3:08 pm
just a little over 9 hrs. 
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 10:10 pm
ambermay
on 8/19/11 10:52 pm
Hi  and Welcome

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

teachmid
on 8/20/11 12:22 am - OKC, OK
Welcome. Check into Dr. Daryl Stewart in Denton, Tx. Travel is a hassle but well worth it. Many of us did.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165