Not for the Faint of Fart, yes Fart

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/11 3:37 pm - Chandler, AZ
Sounds like what my husband AND teens would say! Teens give you a greater understanding of why animals eat their young!
Psyche
on 8/20/11 2:25 am
I find matches to work better than air fresheners. If I am noxious, Ozium just does not cut it.
SW 280 / GW 150 / CW 128.8

Reconstructive surgery, under construction!

Lower Body Lift - 12/14/2011 - Atlanta VA Medical Center
Brachioplasty & Mastopexy w/Augmentation - 03/14/2012 - Dr Marisa Lawrence

P. Poster
on 8/20/11 3:08 am
 I'm about 16 months postop.  I rarely fart (maybe once or twice a day?).  Period.  Since I hit goal (and then kept going and going and going) I eat whatever the hell I want- simple carbs, complex carbs ect.  No issues.  There are VERY few things that will cause me to bloat and get gassy, cheap ice cream is about the top of that list.  So, well, I just don't eat it- I have Haggen Daaz instead, and voila, no farts.  Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never really had any major issues with gas and poop (besides and early out issue with constipation from the high protein, calcium and iron while my body adjusted).  It's actually been quite a relief for me, as my IBS preop was SO awful and unpredictable.  I would often have to cancel plans due to it, and now, NO issues!  Hooray!

I had ONE bout of strange gas/bloating issues about 4 months ago (?), where no matter what I ate, I got awful gas/bloating.  This lasted a few weeks before I got frustrated enough by it to do something.  I did a full elimination diet and lived off plain chicken breast for a few days and took a round of Flagyl, I've had no issues since.  I believe my intestinal flora just got a bit out of whack, or I picked up a bug or something.  Eh, it happens to unaltered folks too!  

PS- I no longer take a probiotic.  Just found that I didn't personally need one, and the expense wasn't worth it.  As with all things DS though, YMMV.  
no_more_rolls
on 8/20/11 4:41 am - Jackson, MI
I'm 6 weeks out.  I'm still figuring out how various foods affect me and unlike most DS'ers I've been battling nausea and vomiting post-op.  I'm eating very low carb and high protein, but some of the foods I've never thought would give me gas have.  I also take a Probiotic.  I worried about the gas pre-op too.  Yes, I will admit post-op it is the worst smelling gas I've ever had, but it's not like any other time you may have to pass gas pre-op.  Pre-op I would never pass gas in public, I wouldn't even pass gas around my family (just how I was brought up)!  Anyways, I quickly got over that and I've gotten revenge on my poor family members for all the times they did it to me.  LOL  Honest my revenge was unintentional, but when they come home and the stench lingering from a toot 15 minutes old burns the hairs off their nostrils as they walk in the door...I'm both embarrassed and proud of myself!   If I have to pass gas while I am out, I literally try to make sure I am outside and down wind of anyone.  If I am in a store, I go to an isolated area and quickly high tail it out of there!  If I am in a public restroom, I courtesy flush as needed, then spray my purse sized Ozium air freshener.  If my family is home I spray and courtesy flush when I am in the bathroom too.  If my toot feels like it will be warm, I make sure I am in the restroom!  Unfortunately I learned about that the hard way (greasy foods)....just thankfully I was home when that happened.    
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Emily F.
on 8/20/11 6:31 am
a 1/2 a piece of cake and you will probably be fine w no farts. I do take my probiotics daily and it helps. Also I don't do carbs during the day. So I would only get the cake if it was dinner or after.

You'll learn how your body works!
LovableLynn
on 8/20/11 3:23 pm - Qatar
In the beginning my farts used to bring me to tears.I am so embarassed and I could not take the comments from my family (and truly.. the moment I felt I was about to blow, I would run and take cover).... that was in the beginning. I have now learned what triggers these blow ups and I try to avoid it at all cost..... but..... I am proud to say I am happy to now have a leathal weapon to use against my 4 sons and husband. Threatening to drink milk and be a farting machine get far better results than threatening to ground them or punish them....lol

Until I learned what triggered the fart attacks I was afraid to leave the house and I dreaded returning to work but it didnt take me long to figure it all out.

Thank you ladies for the good laugh this morning as it all brought back good farting memories....lol

And now.... I use this line on my kids.... "excuse me, excuse me from below, it just came out to say HELLO!!!!!

HW 175 KG (385 lbs) - then banded in 2008 - DS journey HW 146 KG (322 lbs)

CW 81 KG (179 lbs) - GW 79.5 KG (175 lbs)

zuzupetals2u2
on 8/21/11 5:00 am - Sedona, AZ
I am 8 months out and the first several months my gas was truly lethal smelling. It smelled like the sewer to put it bluntly. I do react to carbs but I really didn't let it control what I eat. It didn't particularly seem to matter anyway as I most always have gas. My bf & I used to laugh about it but now I spray right after and deal with it that way. But I have been taking a probiotic the past month once I could more easily get pills down. It seems to have lessened the smell fortunately but not really the amount of gas. I dont go crazy with simple carbs but I have never given up the bun or tortilla or bread at Subway so I know that doesn't help. I had no taste for sweets the first 6 months so I do have to be careful now that I eat them sometimes again as gas can include stomach pain for hours. And I might add my weight loss has slowed since having sweets again so I am trying to resist them as much as possible for that reason too.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh