Sooo out of shape...did you try to get in shape before your surgery?

kramer5
on 8/18/11 11:13 am - Washington, KS
Everything I've read says that I should try to strengthen myself before surgery.  I didn't realize how out of shape I was until I started trying to get in shape (not having surgery yet but figured I'd go ahead and start working on it).  I did almost a mile last night and again tonight but holy crap it felt like I was about to kill over.  I have a horrible headache now that I think is from my blood surging through my body.  

How did everyone else do it?  I know that the walking is helping my lungs...is there anything I can do to help the processes along as well?

Thanks,
Dawn

jodic1966
on 8/18/11 11:37 am
 I've been swimming as much as I can this summer in preparation. I think its a good idea to try to shape up as much as I can before surgery. The healthier we are before we go on that table the better our chances!  Keep at it..it will be worth it  :D

Paula R.
on 8/18/11 12:32 pm - Portland, OR
Ive been doing deep water aerobics and will be adding Aqua Zumba classes to the mix through my local parks and recreation department in preparation for my hopefully-upcoming-yet-unscheduled surgery.  Its been far less strenuous on my body than any other excercises I can think of, but that isnt to say it wont give you a run for your money workout-wise. 
My signature is in the witness protection program

StacyAnn07
on 8/18/11 12:38 pm - Del City, OK
I'm doing water aerobics and I think its a really good workout! I can walk but not too much and certainly not a mile! I would look into a gym near you with a pool :)

DS4dana
on 8/18/11 4:22 pm - CA
I didn't do any extra exercise in preparation for surgery.  My job pre op had me on my feet about 5 hours a day and required heavy lifting at times.  

After I lost about 30 percent of my EW I felt up to adding the gym some.  That only lasted a few weeks before I started a new job, crazy schedule and got in a car accident that hurt me temporarily.  Only recently (about 2 weeks ago) did I find that even with a job that now has me on my feet 7 hours a day I had the energy to workout.  

YOU NEED TO GIVE YOURSELF CREDIT.  Write down how many extra pounds you carry and realize that the skinny girl inside you has muscles and is just exhaused from carrying that EW around!  Do you honestly think if those skinny ******es out there had to carry that weight around, day and night for years they would want to be hitting the gym after a long day?  NO WAY.

Hugs!  You will know soon enough how wonderful the DS is at making your dreams reality.  Heck I hoped I would love working out but couldn't really imagine it, it's almost scary!

Dana

(5'6" Lg frame 7'wrist)  Pants: size 6-8
HW- 265  SW-251  CW-146 GW-155 (100% EWL in 10 months) LOW GW- 145

LovableLynn
on 8/18/11 5:04 pm - Qatar
I got a personal trainer about 2 months before my surgery and as much as I tried to find excuses not to go, I am happy I stuck to the plan. I, not only lost weight before the surgery, but I also improved my whole health in general.

In the past, whenever I had a surgery, I always woke up in ICU for some strange reason. The nurses here would try to reassure me that it was routine but I knew otherwise as I used to be a nurse. My recovery was always so hard. This time around, no ICU and I was ready to go home the next day. My recovery and healing has been amazing. I have to give credit where credit is due. Although I have hated my trainer at times, I have now started to love my sessions with her. After my surgery I wass itching to get back into the gym so when I got the go-ahead at 5 weeks, I was there.

Any activity you can start to improve your physical well-being will definitely help you with this surgery.

Keep up the good work!!!

HW 175 KG (385 lbs) - then banded in 2008 - DS journey HW 146 KG (322 lbs)

CW 81 KG (179 lbs) - GW 79.5 KG (175 lbs)

teachmid
on 8/18/11 10:24 pm - OKC, OK
Practice blowing up balloons.....seriously, for you breathing and lung capacity.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Elizabeth N.
on 8/18/11 11:33 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Horrible headache after exercise? Do you have high blood pressure? This is doc visit worthy. Ease up on your exercise intensity.

Strengthening your lungs is super important. One way to do that is to blow up balloons. You want to work on blowing them up as far as possible in one breath. Getting a good strong exhale is a major factor in being able to clear your lungs. That's what those incentive spirometers are for.

You do NOT have to go to the point of feeling like keeling over to get benefits from exercise. In fact, it's a really bad idea to do that when you're out of shape. Don't punish your body that way.