pushing forward with very little support...

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 2:20 pm
 hello everyone! I just thought I would leave a little post about how supportive i've found this website to be...just by reading some of your stories or posts... i haven't found that my family is very supportive of getting this surgery done, but i feel that i need to in order to live a happy, long, and most importantly healthy life. I've watched an online seminar and i'm looking to schedule and attend one with my future mother in law. I've found that she is behind me all the way, even if my own mother is not. My insurance approves WLS, I just have to have my doctor send them information proving that I meet the requirements (BMI is 44, PCOS, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and borderline diabetic...as well as my father passed away at age 39--i think that's enough information by itself) I've done my research and feel that DS is the best option for me, as well as long-term weight loss...and less restrictions. I've sent in my information to a nearby surgeon for me, which turns out to be one of the country's best! : ) ((Magee Women's Hospital of UPMC in Pittsburgh))

Struggling with weight has been a problem all of my life, as well as mostly everyone on this website as well...and it's so comforting to know that I'm not alone and others feel the same. It's so hard to explain to someone who's never been overweight and has always been skinny with no problems just how it feels...and how terrible and uncomfortable you really do feel---not to mention how upsetting it is when you know you're unhealthy and your own attempts don't help. I'm glad that I know I can come here for the support that I need, and watch everyone else's successes in their lives as well...

Congratulations to all of you that have made the commitment to change and now have a healthy lifestyle, as well as to everyone that's in the process to a new beginning!!

: )
Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/18/11 2:37 pm, edited 8/18/11 2:37 pm - Tuvalu

Re:  I've sent in my information to a nearby surgeon for me, which turns out to be one of the country's best! : )

You can find a list of vetted DS surgeons right here.  I'm afraid your surgeon is NOT on that list:

www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeons.html
(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 2:40 pm
 ....when i watched her seminar online, it was one of the first things that she had said--but i guess once again not everything is true you see online. i've been looking for statistics and whatnot online, but haven't been able to find much of anything, recent anways...nothing is entirely set in stone yet--but i appreciate the advice. I haven't seen that website yet, so I'm glad you've brought it to my attention.
beemerbeeper
on 8/18/11 2:49 pm - AL
I've been reading this forum for over two years and I've never heard of your surgeon. 

I don't know much but I know you only want a surgeon with a lot of experience.  We've heard of too many people going in for a DS coming out of surgery with only a sleeve or with something else or worse...complications, including death.

www.DSFacts.com

There are surgeon's who claim to do the DS then when you meet with them they will tell you all sorts of reasons (lies) as to why another surgery would be 'better' for you when in fact they don't even DO the DS and what would be 'better' is if you would pay them to do what they DO know how to do.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 2:59 pm
http://www.upmc.com/HospitalsFacilities/Hospitals/Magee/SpecialtyServicesWomenMen/weight-loss/Pages/OurStaff.aspx 

that's where i received the information from online, and i know someone personally that did have a surgery performed from this doctor (however, i'm not positive what type it indeed was) but like I said, I am still looking and getting information from this doctor...as well as looking for other surgeons if she's not qualified to perform...nothing is set in stone yet.
beemerbeeper
on 8/18/11 3:08 pm - AL
Surgeons advertise all the time that they do the DS when they don't.  Just do your homework and only go with a surgeon who is on www.DSFacts.com or who has otherwise proven that they actually are very experienced in doing the DS.

I was shocked when I started this journey.  I thought I could get the DS at the well known bariatric center near where I lived at the time.  And then I found out that there was only ONE DS surgeon in the ENTIRE state!!!!  WTF???  I was blown away.

Most of us went through that.  Then we did our homework and traveled and got our DS from an experienced surgeon.

I only had to travel about 3.5 hours and 2 states away and stay in a motel for a week post-op.  Other folks have flown half way around the world.

There are not that many DS surgeons in the world.  That is why the folks on this forum know who they are.

~Becky

Elizabeth N.
on 8/18/11 3:22 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Too bad you deactivated already. I hope you're still reading. There is NO DS surgeon in Pittsburgh. You'll need to go into OH or come east to get a real DS surgeon. I recommend calling my surgeon, Dr. William Peters, in Scranton, 570-969-2527, and see if he's back in the OR yet. He had to take a lengthy sabbatical due to health reasons.

My second recommendation is Dr. David Greenbaum in Willingboro, NJ. www.southjerseybariatrics.com or www.drthin.com .

You want a surgeon *****ally knows this procedure well. I can promise you that if you go see the surgeon you mentioned, you'll hear some story about why it's "not a good surgery for you." We call it the bait and don't switch tactic, and it's the same sleazy tactic as the sales gambit from which it gets its name.

edeldog13
on 8/18/11 3:06 pm - MO
You are on he right track by taking control of your health. If WLS is best for you (for me too!) then listen to the veterans! DON'T trust just any surgeon to do your surgery! Lot's of us have to travel to get a vetted surgeon. Get the best for yourself..wouldn't you want the same for your fiance'?
Mel_Ga
on 8/19/11 9:39 am
Maybe this was an advertisement for a Dr?  Why would this person deactivate?