The ying/yang of zinc and copper

J G.
on 8/18/11 3:37 am
Seems like my zinc and copper values are like a see-saw.  One is low and  I try to fix it and then on the next blood draw the other is low.  

On my most recent labs my copper was low so I have increased it to 4mg.  Last time my zinc was low so I increased it to 100mg.  So right now I am taking 100 mg zinc in my lunch batch and 4 mg copper in my 7:00PM batch. 

I can always tell when my zinc is low cause I will break out in little bumps on my neck and/or zits on my face.  It takes a couple on weeks of increased zinc to get rid of them.  There's no physical sign for low copper - just rely on my bi- annual labs.   Don't want to have to keep increasing amounts forever! 

I have read that the two have a weird relationship and you should separate them (and also keep them away from calcium.)  Someone said they take theirs on separate days, so every other day.  This sounds doable but then I guess I would have to double or at least increase my amounts on those days???  Any thoughts?

Thanks a bunch, Jenny
echo6w
on 8/18/11 4:51 am
Don't know, but I haven't taken any of those. But I had gotten acne like crazy a few months back. Wondering if it was low zinc.
J G.
on 8/18/11 2:54 pm
Yep, some things you want to look at are  zinc, Vit A, Folic Acid and Vit E
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/18/11 5:39 am
I've read that zinc isn't compatible with several minerals, and have been struggling with when to get it in. I may try the alternating day thing too.
J G.
on 8/18/11 3:01 pm
I'm really torn.  Don't know whether to just continue with my recent tweak or try the alternating days.  And don't know how much more to take on those alternating days.   Geesh.   How are your zinc and copper levels?
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/19/11 5:07 am
 My copper was fine (I take it with iron) but my zinc was low, so my doc tripled my dose (to 50mg 3x a day) and I have yet to retest. I have other minerals in my vitamin groups, so I'm trying to get them separated.
clpeltz
on 8/18/11 6:20 am
Here is some good info I got about timing:

Okay – so let’s talk timing.

Some important ground rules:  Calcium, magnesium, Vitamins A, D, E, K, and Boron all like to play well together – and in fact, help boost absorption of one another.

Zinc should be stand-alone.

Copper probably should be stand-alone.  It’s okay with the iron – but there are conflicting reports that they could be problematic.  If it’s working for you, fine.  Of course, after your infusion, you won’t need the oral iron.

Do not take copper supplements and zinc supplements at the same time. It is best to take your copper supplement 2 hours after zinc supplements, to get the full benefit of each.

I am going to start taking my zinc by itself.  I am currently only taking copper three times a week.  My copper is high and my zinc in low right now. 

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 12:43 pm - Yorktown, VA
Just an FYI - I've read that A (and I think E?) do not get along well with K and to take K apart from them.
Kayla B.
on 8/18/11 2:21 pm - Austin, TX
I could be wrong, but I think this interaction deals more with overall status and taking too much of them than not being able to take them both at the same time.  The way fat soluble vitamins are absorbed which is different from other vitamins makes me think that.  I'll be continuing to take mine together.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
J G.
on 8/18/11 3:13 pm
I think this interaction deals more with overall status and taking too much of them than not being able to take them both at the same time.  The way fat soluble vitamins are absorbed which is different from other vitamins makes me think that.

Kayla, can you dumb this down for me.  Are you saying that if your taking a lot of A and E that you wouldn't be able to absorb the K at the same time?