The DS and eating out?

beemerbeeper
on 8/17/11 3:26 pm - AL
My only ordeal is that I can't afford to eat out.

I can eat ANYWHERE.  Outback?  OMG. When they have crab legs I'm in heaven.  I can eat at ANY fastfood (I do not eat bread so I either get a sandwich wrapped in lettuce or I throw away the bread).

That's why I love my DS.  I just wish I could afford to eat out more!!!! 

~Becky

elixir
on 8/17/11 3:38 pm - MI
I eat steak quite often so Outback & Longhorn are definitely viable choices. At Applebee's I ordered the Philly cheeseburger with no bun. It came smothered in cheese with sauteed onions and peppers. I also eat a couple of the shrimp that my daughter orders at Applebee's. (Oddly enough, I can eat shrimp coated in panko, but can't mess with chicken tenders coated in flour. The flour makes me feel like an alien is growing inside of my belly.) My favorite is Mongolian BBQ. Shrimp, mushrooms, beansprouts and garlic-chili sauce. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Nana1176
on 8/17/11 3:46 pm - CA
I love going to Outback and I eat their steak and the baked sweet  potato. I do not get a salad or soup, no sense in filling up on empty calories when I have all this lovely protein on its way.  I never finish my steak and always bring it home for  my late  night dinner.  I had surgery in 2001 and still have a 4-5 oz stomach so I eat very little at any one time.  I still have the issues with over eating at times.  Its about learning about your body after WLS.  I on occassion will go to Mcdonalds but it doesnt really appeal to me anymore. If I do go to a fast food joint, i will go to Taco Bell or Wendy's but I dont get a meal, i buy my protein and then steal 4 or 5 french fries my son. LOL.   I can eat anything that I want but I do know what will make me feel ok and what might make feel like I want to kick myself later.  I was always dairy intolerant so I limit the dairy intake, i can NOT eat broccoli because it gives me gas and everyone who has had DS surgery knows that the gas is really  bad with us.  I eat a lot of othere vegetables, but mostly chicken and beef, pork.  I do not eat anything rare or medium rare as I found that I have a more sensitive stomach now and its easy for me to get food poisioning or sick if the food is not cooked enough.  I also drink soda from the can (your not supposed to dring carbonated drinks until after a year). I say eat what you want to eat in moderation.  I eat 6 times a day. 3 or 4 major meals a day and 2 or 3 small meals or snacks.
You will learn what your body likes and dislikes. Just listen to your body.
Nancy Godina
Nana1176
GRDS 2001
Dr. Ara Kesheshian
Nana1176
on 8/17/11 3:48 pm - CA
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 9:36 pm - Saint Louis, MO
I eat at McDonalds so much that they recognize me and put in my order when I pull up.  Two McDoubles, large unsweetened ice tea.  $3.22.  I put all 4 patties on one bun and munch away.  Took me a year post op to be able to eat the whole thing!  Sometimes I'll switch up and get Big Mac sauce on there instead of the ketchup.  Good, cheap stuff.  They're also awesome about making sandwiches with no bun at all, for the newly postop.

Everywhere else, appetizers are my friend!  No side items to waste.
Janet P.
on 8/17/11 9:58 pm
Early out, I would order whatever I wanted off the menu. If rice was the primary starch I would ask if I could substitute mashed potatoes. Would focus on protein first and always, always asked for a to-go box at the same time they would bring my food. I would immediately remove most of what was on my plate so that way I'm not tempted to eat too much. Or try an appetizer as an "entree". Most restaurants are more than happy to accommodate special requests.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

fradcliff
on 8/17/11 10:12 pm
DS on 01/25/11 with

My Only issue with eating out is when we order from one person and another person brings out the food they always give me the larger amount and my wife the appetizer or small entree that I ordered and that makes her feel awkward that she now eats more then I do.

girlygirl1313
on 8/17/11 10:18 pm - Davidson, NC
 I am a huge fan of steaks and seafood.  I've never had a hard time choosing something tasty off the menu.  If it's Outback I'll order a sweet potato (extra butter, hold the sugar) and a salad along with my rare Prime Rib.  I don't really do McD's too much anymore.  But I have been digging Taco Bell crunchy taco supremes and Chick-Fil-A nuggets.

When looking at a restaurant menu I skip right over the pasta section.  If I'm tight on money or just don't want a big entree, I go for the sandwiches/burgers and pull off at least half if not all the bread and use a knife and fork.

Appetizers as an entree can also be a good idea.  Hot wings, mussels, shrimp ****tail, even mozz sticks...  sometimes I make that my dinner!

lk1970
on 8/17/11 11:08 pm
I'm 2 yrs out and I have no problems eating out. In fact I think I enjoy it more now than before my DS. I love being able to order a steak and ask that they put blue cheese on top, and order melted butter with garlic to dip it in! Then I get asked how I stay so thin when I order dessert!
I really do make good choices too, always protein first, no pasta ever! I'd rather have a few bites of dessert than waste all my tummy space on pasta that may make me miserable.
And yes, McD's is easy on the go...

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

mylittleblackdress
on 8/18/11 12:57 am - FL
You've gotten lots of great feedback from others but I'll chime in also.  I eat out often but virtually no fast food except for occasionally Chick Fil A.  I usually share a meal with my husband as I can't eat enough to justify an entire meal and it helps keep him from overeating as restaurant portions are so huge these days.  If I'm out alone or with someone other than my DH I always bring leftover food home.  I always go for the protein first--steak, seafood etc.--followed by a little salad or a couple bites of potato or rice.  I fill up quickly so I'm picky about what I eat.  I want good protein for my $ and most fast food is junk so I avoid it.  My one indulgence is wings--we have the best local sports bar and wings I've ever eaten so I do eat them without guilt.  Supporting the local economy and small businessman, you know? 

I find restaurants are great about letting us split a meal with no additional charge and I've gotten over the embarrassment of doing so.  I look great and it works for us!  Only one place added $3.00 for us to do that so I'll never eat there again. 

Lisa