protein shake has too much sugar/carbs?

fluffy_me
on 8/17/11 5:32 am
could i have some advise about my protein shake please:

Biochem protein powder vanilla flavour ('Biochem's 100% Whey Protein™ Contains 100% pure Ultra-Filtered/Micro-Filtered (UF/MF) Whey Protein Isolate).

total carbs - 8g
sugar - 7g
protein - 20g

Other Ingredients: Natural vanilla flavor, organic evaporated cane juice, xanthan gum, Maltodextrin Lecithin. Contains milk & soy.

this protein powder has cane juice - that can't be good right??? but the carb is only 8g - do you think it's ok to have it twice a day? the other shakes taste like CRAP - i was so happy when i found this!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 5:37 am
I'm not yet two months out from surgery, so take what I think/say with a grain of salt.

I think if you like the shake and tolerate it that you should use it. I would sacrifice some carb intake in order to find a protein shake that I would like.
Kathleen F.
on 8/17/11 5:57 am
I believe that is a decent carb to protein ratio. Must be only a touch of sugar in it.
Kayla B.
on 8/17/11 6:03 am - Austin, TX
I would personally rather have a protein shake with less sugar, but I definitely wouldn't want one with more than half as many carb grams as protein grams (so, for 20g protein, not more than 10g carbs).  So this one works fine for that.

Cane juice is sugar...not ideal, but if it's all you can tolerate, it's fine.  Plus, the protein source is a good one (whey isolate vs. whey concentrate).

I dunno...I tend to hate protein drinks whether they taste "good" or not, so I'd rather they not steal calories away from me because I tend to not be enjoying their consumption anyways.

2-3g would be better.  But do what you can.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Elizabeth N.
on 8/17/11 10:27 am - Burlington County, NJ
Oh please. You're worried about 7 grams of sugar? Relax and drink the stuff.

fluffy_me
on 8/17/11 10:51 am
i was a bit worried there - at least now i can carry on drinking in peace! the weighing scale was not going down - in fact it went up! i know.....i should not weigh myself 3 times a day, and yes my weight will go up and down slightly...

a few hours back (while worrying) i did however order another protein powder, the same make but natural flavour instead, which has 20g of protein and 1g of carbs. 

now i have a choice:)

thanks!!

Elizabeth N.
on 8/17/11 11:03 am - Burlington County, NJ
Well, if you're going to be crazy about the scale, honey, you deserve the stress. Knock that stupidity OFF.

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 7:56 pm - Woodbridge, VA
"Natural flavor" is unflavored, so I hope you have something to mix it with other than water or milk or else it's going to be quite disgusting!

And, yes, get off the scale. Go hide it in your car trunk or something.

I wouldn't worry about 8g carbs early out, but the further I got, the more I had to restrict my carbs to keep losing, and I would drink 2 double shakes a day, so that powder would bring me to at least 32g carbs right there, which is more than I would often have for everything in a whole day. I don't see a surgery date, but I'm assuming you're pretty early out. If you can't tolerate other shake mixes for some reason, I wouldn't ditch this one just because of the carb count since the protein is much more important at this point.

However, have you tried other lower-carb protein options? Try ordering some samples from Vitalady; there are other sites and stores that sell samples as well (no use getting stuck with a whole tub of something you don't like).
Victorious_one
on 8/17/11 11:05 pm - South Central, PA

My shakes have carbs that are 25-33.3% of the protein amount.  My warm coffee protein shake is 27g protein and 9g carbs; and my iced protein shake is 50g protein and 13 carbs.  I could probably cut the carbs down by using a different creamer, but I like it the way it is.  The main thing is to get the protein in.  

If it's a good source/type of protein and you like the shake, I say go for it.  The scale will be nicer soon. :-)

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
vitalady
on 8/18/11 11:16 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Fiber and sugar alcohols are not absorbed. They are often included in the total carbs figure.

I only count SUGAR. So, in your case, to get 30g, you'll get 1.5 sugars. Very good stats. If you mix with water, that's all the sugars you get.

If you mix with 8 oz moo, you'll get about 12 more sugars. Or real juice- that could be as much as 50g sugars.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.