XP - Asked my NUT some questions.

Generic User_Name
on 8/16/11 10:09 pm
 I sent my NUT an email asking a couple of questions.  I was suprised at the response I got to them.

The first question I asked her is what my goal weight should be.  Depending on who is measuring me, my present BMI is between 24.5 and 25.5.

Her response follows:

Your first question: I usually aim for a goal of BMI 25, but really you should be very happy with the success you have achieved thus far!  I think you are almost there now:)   A BMI below 20, if you get there, should be brought to our attention.

My second question to her dealt with what my caloric intake should be in order to maintain that weight.  This was the response that really surprised me.

Her response follows:

The second question- I don't count calories- these are especially complicated after DS as we do not know your absorption. Best guidelines are to: emphasize eating lean protein foods, fruits, veggies; minimize processed carbs; include healthy-fat foods like nuts, avocado.

Liz's NUT gave her a specific calorie intake guidance during her last visit. The thing that gets me is we both had the SAME WLS but with different surgeons.  Both NUTs work at Bariatric Centers of Excellence.  Upon further reflection, I like my NUT's advice better.

What do you think?  

NoreenRT
on 8/16/11 10:19 pm - Warner Robins, GA
a nut that finally gets our ds eating requirements?  well, now i've seen it all  (lol).  better hold on tight to this one. 

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

KellyJTn
on 8/16/11 10:25 pm - Oak Ridge, TN
I agree. That one looks like a keeper!

I have all but given up on my NUT. She talks to me like I'm not even a WLS patient. Telling me to avoid fatty foods, grease, butter, mayo etc.  I feel like I'm in a Weigh****chers meeting everytime I go in there.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

Julie R.
on 8/16/11 11:35 pm - Ludington, MI
 It's easy - your wife's NUT is treating her like a normie, bander, VSG'er or RNY'er who must control caloric intake.   Remember, these nuts are indoctrinated in "calories in, calories out."   

Secondly, a Bariatric Center of Excellence means NOTHING as to how good a practice or surgeon is.   It is merely a designation that a center has done a minimal amount of surgeries, has post-op care, etc., so that insurance companies will pay them.   It's all about the Ben Franklins.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

larra
on 8/17/11 12:39 am - bay area, CA
I think she did quite well, esp compared to what we usually hear.
    Now ask some vitamin questions and let's see what happens.

Larra
Generic User_Name
on 8/17/11 12:53 am
 Oh, this NUT has heard of the Vitalady recommendations and is not averse to them.  

What scares me is I started out as a patient of the same bariatric surgeon as my wife.  My wife was forced to use them because of insurance.  They would not let her go out of state.

I had a real problem with the $3,000 program fee this practice charged.  So I looked around and went to Weill Cornell in New York City.  

larra
on 8/17/11 1:19 am - bay area, CA
It is scary, isn't it. So many people think that patients are doomed to nutritional problems with the DS, but with the right nutritional advice this is NOT so. But a lot of people don't get the right advice.

Larra
newyorkbitch
on 8/18/11 3:37 am
Liz Goldenberg (not Goldberg),  the senior nutritionist at the Corelll program,  is terrific.

She has been dealing with DS patients for over 12 years.  She knows what she's doing.
beemerbeeper
on 8/17/11 1:26 am - AL
She's ahead of the curve.  If she would leave off the word "lean" it would be  better but you can't have everything.

~Becky

Twi light
on 8/18/11 3:23 am - NY
DId you email this to Liz Goldberg or to Theresa Kinsella. I am having a hard time believing Kinsella would say this stuff based on what she told me last time.