Having trouble eating.

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 11:36 am
Nervous stuff.

What happens if I just cannot eat? I've barfed up plenty by now that eating seems ugh. Protein shakes, ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

I don't feel that I'm even un-eating and losing weight. I'm just not eating.

I know, I will die, but how do you get back excited into eating?
Lisa A.
on 8/16/11 11:40 am - Windsor, NY
When did you have your surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 11:43 am
5/16/11
I just hate food altogether. I don't want to eat. I have never had eating troubles before like this.
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 11:49 am, edited 8/16/11 11:50 am
Just to add:

I order from a restaurant....

Think that it looks beautiful, delicious, take two bites (protein plus a bit of something else),  put the rest back, end up barfing up the two bites later.

Cook from home. Think it looks okay, perhaps, edible. Take two bites, maybe four (protein plus a bit of someting else). Barf part up later.

I'm really confused and not losing weight.

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 11:51 am
Are you on one of those reflux pills like Prilosec or something?
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 11:56 am
Yes, Prilosec in the Am.

Once in awhile I feel like eating my bedpost or the toilet paper or whatever, but mostly what goodly in my fridge rots away.

I'm buffaloed.

If I were losing like gangbusters, then I would shuddup and enjoy it and ride that puppy out for a bit, but I'm not. I'm still at post op weight 3 months later and I hate the idea of eating. My surgeon is half a country away so don't tell me to go out there, please.

Why don't I want to eat? And why doesn't loss of appetite lead to weight loss? That seems like a no-brainer, but apparently, it's not.

Elizabeth N.
on 8/17/11 10:06 am - Burlington County, NJ
Okay honey. You. Are. In. Trouble. Get your ass to the doc NOW and get a complete set of labs done. I am convinced that you have significant nutritional deficiencies.

Not eating means you are starving yourself. Your body is holding on to everything it can grab. Now knock this **** off and get to the doc RIGHT NOW. Don't you DARE delay.

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 12:32 pm
 I'm curious, why are you barfing it back up. Are you nauseous? or are you making yourself barf.
If nausea then you may need more then what you are taking in PPIs. Instead of one prilosec you may need two, or you may need a different one. Don't just let it go, you need to get your liquids and protein in, if you hate the protein drinks that much, have you tried the Isopure bottled clear protein drinks, they are kind of fruit flavored. Not the bullets but the larger bottles. GNC carries them.

You need to get this resolved you don't want to continue to barf. Apetite or not you have to do something, I would say you are not losing because your body is starving.

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 1:39 pm
I guess that the problem is appetite. Eating seems, well, extra. Like something other people do.

But if I do a protein shake, I barf it right back up. It's ugly in a toilet.
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 2:32 pm - Beverly, NJ
you wanting your bedpost and toilet paper sound like pica. Although I'm familiar with it's symptoms and treatment pre-op I'm not familiar with it when it concerns a DS. Google it and ask the vets.
As far as hunger goes, you're further out than me but I had the same problem 3 weeks post op. I thought for sure I was never going to eat again. I needed to up my prilosec as per Dr. G (now I take 40mg twice a day) and it turned out I wasn't drinking enough so I was probably a tad dehydrated. Those two things helped A LOT. Of course there are things that even the smell of or thought of makes me turn green but I am finally enjoying food.

I'm not a vet so that's all I got but hopefully you'll find some relief soon It sucks not to want food.