Common Channel and Roux Limb?

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 5:06 am - TX
So I don't have the balls (yet) to ask my surgeon just how many DS's he has done (my hubby tells me if he is a freaking Colonel in the Army and is the HEAD trauma surgeon at Madigan... that has also been in a combat setting....putting guts back together with less than perfect conditions....that he should be "able" to do the DS............so I did email him and ask him about common channel lengths and such and here is what he replied..........

I usually use a 100 cm common channel, 150 cm roux limb, which gives a total 250 cm alimentary limb.  I think this method has been shown to have the best results, and we've had uniformly great results with it.

So what do you "vets" think of that?
airbender
on 8/16/11 6:05 am
that is the length that Gagner, MD attmepted to standardize.  he uses a standard 100 cm cc and I believe his roux limb is 150 cm.  2 schools of thought, I like when a surgeon custom builds the limbs for the patient's needs.  but the lengths above would be fine for me (my cc is longer as I didnt want as many potential malabsorption issues)
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 7:00 am - OH
Do you think having a slightly longer CC has helped you absorb vitamins and have less food intolerances? Is it harder to maintain your weight?

I ask because I have been seriously considering asking for a slightly longer CC when I have surgery.
walter A.
on 8/16/11 6:19 am - lafayette, NJ
he has done quite a few, and it is fortunate that you can get it done in a military setting, my cc is 200. which is 1/3 of my sm intestine, I had a long one, they are not all equal.  they come in all lengths, thus the surgeon makes his determination on the table.  trust him.
michelehei
on 8/16/11 7:05 am
 Any Gagner patients out there that may have discussed this with him?  I am wondering if he would do a longer cc.  I may give him a call before my August 25 surgery to discuss this.  I would like a longer cc to avoid some of the malabsorption.  Thanks.
KarenFlorida
on 8/16/11 4:07 pm - Orlando, FL
I didn't get the impression that he's very flexible about deviating from his standard way of doing things. But, I did not ask him that specific question. it's worth a try, I guess!

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

michelehei
on 8/16/11 10:43 pm
Hi Karen,

I hope you are feeling ok.   I think of you often.

I am going to ask Dr. G but I am guessing that he will not deviate.  That longer cc sounds very appealing because my greatest fear about this surgery is the malabsorption. Whatever he decides will be alright with me.  Thanks, Karen.  
jenflock
on 8/16/11 7:13 am - TN
Hon I'm telling you this in a loving way.. Grow a set before your surgery because these are questions that you should know. How many DSes this Dr has performed is VITAL.  You are your own advocate. good luck

Lori F.
on 8/16/11 9:56 am - Chula Vista, CA
Read about our OH member Stephanie who just passed away this week. You MUST know what is going on with your own body. Even after the DS, YOU are going to have to be in charge of your own health. The doctor is working for YOU. You have the right to ask him ANYTHING. Watch his/her responses and body language. Make sure s/he has done a lot of procedures. Ask for stats- complications (leaks with and without re-surgeries) and  DEATHS.... . Ask how many DS procedures he has done. Ask who will be assisting. Ask if he ever lets another surgeon "learn" on you (happened with my tummy tuck 15 years ago and I am lopsided, dammit!). Balls are REQUIRED if you are going to have a DS! Good luck. Ask, ask ask. And if you don't like the answer- RUN.
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 10:37 am - TX
I don't have to read about Steph, I was following her story as I too am a band revision.  I am in charge of my body and my health.  He doesn't really work for me.....we are both military and we both work for the government.  I can'****ch his responses or body language as I won't meet him until I see him a few days before my surgery when I fly to WA.  He is in a MILITARY TRAINING facility so I feel sure that "someone" will be "learning" but not necessarily "cutting" on me (but I will ask if it is a watch or "do") kind of training.  I learned of him through another patient on OH.....I contacted him and he took me on as a patient.   I guess I just can't "get in his face" like I could a civilian surgeon or doc that my insurance was paying.....because again I am NOT paying him......we both work for the same people!!

I will continue to ask questions, and at some point I will ask just how many DS's he has done!  thanks for caring!