Because I Said So!

Christine X.
on 8/17/11 1:31 am - TX
Never... Ever trust a fart.

Not everything that happens to you or your body is because you had WLS.

Did you have diarrhea before surgery? Ever? It can be food related or it just could be diarrhea.

There will come a point where people will be tired of hearing about your surgery. It is okay. Start talking about the weather and save the friendship.

Did you have the flu before surgery? Ever? It can be food related or it just could be the flu.

If you think you can just hold your gas until it just 'disappears' you are mistaken. It has to come out. You may not hear it or feel it but your neighbors smell it. Deal with it.

Did you have gas before surgery? Ever? It can be food related or.. okay it is food related.
Christine  "Life is like a jar of jalapenos.  What you
do today, might burn your ass tomorrow".
Check out www.dsfacts.com for information on Duodenal Switch

beemerbeeper
on 8/17/11 1:37 am - AL
***like***

~Becky

lk1970
on 8/17/11 1:55 am
Great post!

-If you choose to challenge the basics, be prepared for the fallout! In other words, slow down people! You have a teeny tiny tummy and a new plumbing, treat it nicely!

-Jillian told me this- some people make this more difficult than it needs to be, I couldn't agree more! Unless you have physical complations.

-Do not come on here and tell others how they should act and start a fight, I've seen it too often, they burn bridges and won't get the very valuable help they need in the future. Yes some people may be mean, it's just like life here, take what you want leave what you don't!

Thank you to all the vets for everything they give!

Lisa

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

Imissthe80s
on 8/17/11 3:22 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Kel- Thanks for starting this thread.  I was actually thinking about starting one that goes, Why Would You Not Listen? In light of recent events around here and the roller coaster of emotions we may be experiencing, I just got plain pissed earlier.  Not necessarily at Stephanie, but just stubborness in general, I mention "stubborn" here because another poster close to Stephanie used that word regarding the situation.  If I'm out of line, please say so.

No matter how you slice it, though, when people are telling you the same thing over and over and over and it is your life on the line, Why Would You Not Listen?

Okay, okay: people are gonna say things like money, time, inability to travel, family responsibilities, desperation, etc.  Yes, but...Why Would You Not Listen? You wouldn't drink gasoline, right? Why? Because someone at some point told you what a dangerous substance it could be.

For me this has been a summer of loss, the loss of various people who have, in one way or another, touched my life, so I've already been reflecting on mortality quite a bit.  I've come to the conclusion that somehow, for whatever reason, each of us believes in our hearts, way down secretly in THE heart of hearts, that we are the one, the SPECIAL one, not any of you other morons, but we are somehow excluded from death.  Nah, that's not going to happen to me...who me, die? Pfffft.  Maybe this isn't true for everyone, especially those who've suffered illness and been near death's door, but us fairly healthy folk, sometimes I think we believe stupidly that it won't happen to us.  And we base our decisions on this ridiculous notion.  Yeah, maybe a little hokey sounding, but it makes sense to me.

* Gail R *
on 8/17/11 4:36 am - SF Bay Area, CA
So true.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 9:45 am
 You don't need anyone's "permission" to go to the emergency room.  If you even question whether or not you need to go, then go.  Don't waste time second-guessing yourself or posting symptoms on here and waiting for a response (I've seen it countless times) to validate your concerns.  It's better to be safe than sorry.  You can post later and tell us the outcome.    
Elizabeth N.
on 8/17/11 10:01 am - Burlington County, NJ
Let's see, in no order.....

--CALL YOUR SURGEON TOO OFTEN DAMMIT!!!!! Quit self diagnosing and second guessing and pick up the damned phone! Chances are your postop complaint is totally normal. But things that are not normal can KILL you.

(If I read another "I  am writhing in agony but I'm going to wait till Monday morning to call" post I just might get ugly.)

--QUIT RUSHING THINGS. No, you cannot eat a plate of raw carrots at four weeks out. If you want to try it, be prepared for a lot of **** to happen, and that's the MINIMUM problem.

--ESPECIALLY DON'T RUSH THE BOOZE. I have just spent several days with the Vitacouple and oh boy, do they have stories of people getting tangled in the booze. YIKES.

--YES, SKIN HAPPENS. Get used to the idea. I should get rambunctious and post my five-year-out skin shots. Kirmy has terrific pics going on. If you think you're better looking the way you are, um, well, maybe you aren't sick enough to need surgery yet. Or maybe you need your head examined.

--Speaking of examined heads, THERAPY IS YOUR FRIEND. GET IT. In case anybody doesn't know this yet, I've been in therapy for nineteen years and will very likely see my current therapist retire. I need it at least as much as anyone else and more than a lot of people. And IT WORKS.

--When it comes to the DS life, YES WE ARE A HELL OF A LOT SMARTER THAN THE DOCTORS. If you don't like that idea, go talk to doctors and follow their advice, and die of malnutrition.

--This does NOT mean we can diagnose you online. See above about calling your surgeon, particularly when it's about a messed up gut.

halblingefrau
on 8/18/11 9:53 am - Flagstaff, AZ
I almost snorted water out my nose reading the comments "DS bowel movements wait for no one" and "never trust a fart."  I couldn't agree more!  I'm only 8 days post-op but I've already discovered those two.  You won't believe how FAST you WILL GO once you feel like you HAVE to go.  Also, air freshener is your friend.  I've nearly gassed myself!

goodkel
on 8/18/11 4:40 pm
Great responses everyone!

Here are some more:

Watch those carbs! You might think that you are one of the exceptions who don't have to watch them and not have them screw with your loss or maintenance. But, just because you are thinking that, it pretty much guaratees that they will.

If you think you've lost too much and want to regain some, don't attempt it with sugar. Sugar will come back and bite you in the arse. Sugar doesn't like just a little gain.

If your surgeon, pcp, or nut disagrees with what we advise to keep you healthy, THEY are wrong.

Oily orange poop is normal. Pale beige fluffy poop is normal. All poop is pretty much normal unless you see signs of blood. Unless you are early out or have eaten something that day that disagrees with you, it is NOT normal to poop six times a day.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"