Dr Stewart patients! Especially if you traveled....

geutenmorgan
on 8/17/11 1:17 am
 I was at forest park in June, I would choose to stay near the hospital, to avoid driving in traffic.  My surgery was on Wed and my hubby stayed in the room with me.  I went home on Friday afternoon.  I had a perfect recovery/ no complications.  Dr. Stewart is an excellent surgeon.  He will take great care of you.  Just remember... be ready for the first 24 hours to SUCK!!!! I know I was in no shape to socialize the first day, I just wanted to sleep off the drugs. I wish you the best of luck.  
Nissa_M
on 8/17/11 3:38 am - TX
Erika, that'd be awesome! I want close and a safe/nice area. Also, any good, fun, safe areas that my mom can keep the kids busy at would be great. Thanks! 

Geuten: How far away was home? I would love to be able to head home Friday. I thought they mentioned having an in office visit before going home though. Thanks!
bldeck
on 8/17/11 8:41 am - Farmington, NM
Ok I don't know how long you plan on staying in Denton but this is my story.  My surgery was on a Thursday, we checked into our hotel Wednesday and my husband checked out Friday because he was ok staying in the hospital with me.  After I was released from the hospital on Saturday I went to stay at my aunt's house in Conroe. 

You might just want them to check in the day before surgery, stay the night of your surgery and check out the day after surgery so they can beat you home and take care of things there.

Betty

DS with Daryl Stewart 04/21/10 - SW 306lbs CW 140lbs

Plastic Surgery with Dr. Sauceda 11/06/12 - LBL, Thigh Lift, BL/BA, small Arm lift

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/17/11 8:41 am
I would definately get accomodations as close as possible to the hospital where you're having the surgery.

I made the mistake of booking the Denton Courtyard (although it was a nice hotel!) when my surgery was at Forest Park. While I was fine at the hospital, the back and forth driving was very inconvenient for the poor hubs up until the time I was released to continue my recovery at the hotel.

While he was only driving around for two days, it was really annoying for him. On the bright side I liked staying in Denton and thought it was a great place :)
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Nissa_M
on 8/17/11 10:36 am - TX
On August 17, 2011 at 3:41 PM Pacific Time, busybee212 wrote:
I would definately get accomodations as close as possible to the hospital where you're having the surgery.

I made the mistake of booking the Denton Courtyard (although it was a nice hotel!) when my surgery was at Forest Park. While I was fine at the hospital, the back and forth driving was very inconvenient for the poor hubs up until the time I was released to continue my recovery at the hotel.

While he was only driving around for two days, it was really annoying for him. On the bright side I liked staying in Denton and thought it was a great place :)
Thanks! How long did they ask you (or did you choose) to stay in Denton?

When I asked no one had a solid answer and Dr. Stewart said he had no requirement.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/17/11 11:53 am
I was asked to arrange accomodations for a week's stay following surgery day- and that assumes the surgery goes well. You also must reserve the day before surgery for post op exams, nutrition classes and pre-op testing at the hospital. I arrived a few days before surgery (to run neccessary errands before the pre-op day- shopping for protein shakes and apple juice, get a cooler for the hotel room so i could have lots of cold water, etc.)and left the day after my 1 week post op appt with Dr. Stewart. So I was in town about 12 days? Something like that.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Nissa_M
on 8/17/11 12:46 pm - TX
Thanks! I will call them tomorrow to see if I can get a solid answer. I plan to go up Monday, pre-op stuff Tuesday, surgery Wednesday. I was planning to stay until the following Tuesday, but I'd love to be able to go home sooner. Hotels kinda suck. I am not too far away to drive back at one week, so hopefully their answer goes in line with my hopes!
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/17/11 1:02 pm
I'm not sure what Dr. Stewart's rules are if you're close enough to drive, it may be different if you're close enough to recover at home without air travel in between. My situation seems different from yours. I was flying in from the east coast for surgery, so staying in Denton for the week up until the post op appointment was not only a requirement, but also safe and practical since my home was so far away. It's better to stay in town than fly across country 4 times Especially if a complication popped up, or if something went wrong.