Is there a source where we get the 30-60-90 protein guidelines?

Opp2mystic1
on 8/16/11 9:32 am - Hokes Bluff, AL
The "NUT" and I use that term loosely is on FB telling newbies that the 30-60-90 is a bad idea.  I was under the impression that we had stores of nutrients and proteins for the first 3 months until we could get to our goal of 100 grams of protein.  So apparently according to her someone with a 2oz stomach should be able to get 60 grams off the get go. 

Just wondering if we had documentation of this long standing concept that many of us very healthy DS'ers have followed without consequence.

Kym

mypictr_YouTube.jpg before/after avatar picture by Opp2mystic1          At goal for 4 years!

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 9:52 am - San Jose, CA
I don't know if there is any "official" source of this - I recall hearing it at a Rabkin big meeting.  But it just makes sense.  And I didn't get or TRY to get any more down at the beginning than I could stand.  I spent the first 3 months working feeling better and eating as much protein as I could, when I could.  And I didn't start taking vitamins until I was 3 months out either (I probably could have done better, but I had a gag reflex that didn't calm down until then.)

Sounds to me like that "NUT" - whose head is up her ass - is trying to sell the newbies her vitamins.
MajorMom
on 8/16/11 10:30 am - VA
I chimed in on that thread. I think she just said 60 grams was a goal. Heck, we were told 100 grams the first 2 weeks by using supplements but Dr E doesn't do 2 oz stomachs either.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Opp2mystic1
on 8/16/11 10:43 am - Hokes Bluff, AL
My concern Gina is that when she is telling a very new post op that is throwing up protein to force shakes down, oviously you are getting very little if you are barfing it up. 

I guess I am in the real food segment and then supplement with protein drinks, not the other way around.  I may feel that way because until I was well over a year out I could not tolerate protein drinks.  After a few years I found one that I actually like, but may drink one a week.  

mypictr_YouTube.jpg before/after avatar picture by Opp2mystic1          At goal for 4 years!

MajorMom
on 8/16/11 6:55 pm - VA
I definitely understand. We're all different and we have to do what works for us.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Imissthe80s
on 8/17/11 12:58 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
What is the FB site? Is it a good one for DSers? So far, I just hang out here, should I be looking for more sites? This is my home and I'm biased so if the site sucks, I'm not going.

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 5:32 am
There is an OH DS Family group which can be found here:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/174102532625545/

It's not the same as the one mentioned above though
Imissthe80s
on 8/17/11 5:38 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Thanks, Lo.  I'll check it out.

Elizabeth N.
on 8/17/11 11:01 am - Burlington County, NJ
AVOID both "Nutrition Matters" and "OH DS Family" like the plague. The former is full of bull**** and the latter is full of....well, a different kind of bull**** However, if you search duodenal switch groups on Facebook, there are a couple of good ones.

Nutrition Matters is the effort by a dietician with but a couple months of exposure to the DS to practice medicine on DSers without a license. She has people from all WLS groups there, but her stupidity about the DS (and her maltreatment of Vitalady, both online and in person) is particularly egregious. She has not a clue and needs to be shut down.

OH DS Family was started by a whining ***** who has as her goal to draw as many people away from here as possible because she got moderated once too often here, and because several of us got offended by her moneygrubbing ways and online denigration of her husband who is in a nursing home with dementia. Her biggest worry seems to be that he might leave his inheritance to his children and not to her. She pleads huge poverty, but she has been on multiple overseas trips for many weeks at a time and has paid cash for all her plastics. You're gonna convince me that she paid for all of that by building and repairing flutes (I'm a flautist BTW) and by the vast $$$$$ she gets from her occasional paid gigs?

(See, I married for better or worse, in sickness and in health, till death do us part. You will never hear a peep about Mr. EN except to praise what a loyal, loving and faithful guy and hardworking provider he is. He sacrifices his life for me and I will do whatever I can for him. And I get a LOT less out of the deal that Miss Pisspisspants does.)

Elizabeth N.
on 8/17/11 11:02 am - Burlington County, NJ
Gina, she's a fuckwit.  Quit defending her. Or do I have to spread her stupidity out here in detail?